New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X confusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluewolf

>.< Okay now my brain has been fried. I have 10.2.7, which is OS X. But there is 10.3, which is OS X. It is clear to me that I am running an older version of OS X, but I was assured that I was running Panther... The question here is what am I running?

x_x this may also explain why some of my software is not the latest additions of it... and I got a funny feeling that I will be needing to buy something real soon...
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
>.< Okay now my brain has been fried. I have 10.2.7, which is OS X. But there is 10.3, which is OS X. It is clear to me that I am running an older version of OS X, but I was assured that I was running Panther... The question here is what am I running?

x_x this may also explain why some of my software is not the latest additions of it... and I got a funny feeling that I will be needing to buy something real soon...
you have 10.2.7 on your powerbook? are you sure? cuz i'm pretty sure 10.2.7 only came with the G5's. anyways, which powerbook do you have, and when exactly did you buy it? we need to know just a little more info before we can answer effectively for you.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

well 10.2.7 is still jaguar
jaguar went up to 10.2.8 (You can get that through system update)
And panther is up to 10.3.2 right now

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

About my Mac:

PowerBook G4
Mac OS X
Version 10.2.7
Memory: 512 MB
Processor: 1 GHz PowerPC G4

It was purchased in the New York, and before anyone asks me to return it that is slightly difficult as I am permanently based in the UK. Perhaps this is punishment for taking unfair advantage of a weak dollar against the pound.

x_x I have a very bad feeling now...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

When did you purchase it?
Did you purchase a used one?

QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
When did you purchase it?
Did you purchase a used one?
January 2004
Brand new

x_x I definetly don't like where this is going...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

you definitely should have had panther on it

what do the system restore discs that came with it say on them

QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
you definitely should have had panther on it

what do the system restore discs that came with it say on them
That is a good question, but at present the disks arent with me... but for now is it possible for guidance on how I can see if there is Panther on those disks?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

It will say something like

PowerBook G4
15 Inch
Software Install
and Restore

Mac OS X version 10.3.1

QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Mac OS Up-To-Date Qualifying Computers
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
Many thanks, that is incredibly useful... now how do I compare mine against the list?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

If you still have the box your PowerBook came in it will have the model number on it.
Also, I believe that some of the documentation that came with the PowerBook will have stickers with the model number on it.

This gives more info about the program.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
I'm on the list so it looks like all I need to do is to fill in that form and return it to Apple before 28 February.

Cheers for all the help on this one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« weatherbug for mac? | Which Powerbook »