Mac newbie needs some explaining :)
    Hi folks, I've just bought myself a white 2Ghz MacBook (mmm, shiny) and so far absolutely love it! Incidentally, before I go on to my Q's, the reason I bought a Mac instead of my much more familiar Wintel lappy is a direct result of being able to install the slightly dodgy versions of OS X on my desktop computer. Just proves that in some cases, the evils of piracy can result in a sale. (or maybe Apple should just launch OS X as a stand-alone OS)

Anyway, not advocating piracy so on with my questions. Google hasn't been able to answer these and as a lifetime Windows user, I'm confused by a couple of things;

When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I think I may just be smitten by OS X/Macs! As a Windows network consultant, that aint' good!!

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote
    When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.
    The red x only closes the window, not the app. To close the app, you can: hit command + q, File > Quit, or right(ctrl)-click on the dock icon and select quit.

for the symbols: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=2

for future questions try here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
    for future questions try here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php?
    Hmm, tried your useful link to search for "close window button" and it didn't return anything relevant soooo.......

OBVIOUSLY, I search first and then ask, I'm only a Mac newbie, not a forum newbie, so maybe I'll reject your advice and continue to post when searching doesn't return anything useful. :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by zygote
    It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.
    Believe me, you'll be doing it in your sleep before too long.

Yeah, reckon so. I seem to find all sorts of new ways of manipulating things in the OS the more I read on t'internet.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
    I love the whole not quiting thing.

I remeber my old RISC OS machine when ever you clicked the X on that too it never closed the program either.

Even my PDA doesnt quit apps when I tap the X and thats WM2005! Odd that MS never fixed it or even gave a choice for the action to be taken.
    On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Useful if you accidentally click it, so that you don't lose all your work.

Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion
    Do you have a link to an article that says that? I have also heard other things such as the 3 button mouse was an error on Windows' part. I heard something like they were supposed to have one button but were forced to use 3 due to bad design or something. I think I heard this from an unreliable source so I was wondering if anyone else heard this.

Specs:
    20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
    I have an intellimouse explorer mouse, and I've assigned the scroll wheel click button to close the application, works quite nicely.

Thread Information