New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook - Mac newbie needs some explaining :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zygote

zygote is on a distinguished road

Hi folks, I've just bought myself a white 2Ghz MacBook (mmm, shiny) and so far absolutely love it! Incidentally, before I go on to my Q's, the reason I bought a Mac instead of my much more familiar Wintel lappy is a direct result of being able to install the slightly dodgy versions of OS X on my desktop computer. Just proves that in some cases, the evils of piracy can result in a sale. (or maybe Apple should just launch OS X as a stand-alone OS)

Anyway, not advocating piracy so on with my questions. Google hasn't been able to answer these and as a lifetime Windows user, I'm confused by a couple of things;

When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I think I may just be smitten by OS X/Macs! As a Windows network consultant, that aint' good!!
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote
When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.
The red x only closes the window, not the app. To close the app, you can: hit command + q, File > Quit, or right(ctrl)-click on the dock icon and select quit.

for the symbols: what are all these symbols, and what do they mean!?

for future questions try here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php
QUOTE Thanks
zygote

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstumpf
for future questions try here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php?
Hmm, tried your useful link to search for "close window button" and it didn't return anything relevant soooo.......

OBVIOUSLY, I search first and then ask, I'm only a Mac newbie, not a forum newbie, so maybe I'll reject your advice and continue to post when searching doesn't return anything useful. :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote
It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.
Believe me, you'll be doing it in your sleep before too long.
QUOTE Thanks
zygote

Yeah, reckon so. I seem to find all sorts of new ways of manipulating things in the OS the more I read on t'internet.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

I love the whole not quiting thing.

I remeber my old RISC OS machine when ever you clicked the X on that too it never closed the program either.

Even my PDA doesnt quit apps when I tap the X and thats WM2005! Odd that MS never fixed it or even gave a choice for the action to be taken.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Useful if you accidentally click it, so that you don't lose all your work.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion
Do you have a link to an article that says that? I have also heard other things such as the 3 button mouse was an error on Windows' part. I heard something like they were supposed to have one button but were forced to use 3 due to bad design or something. I think I heard this from an unreliable source so I was wondering if anyone else heard this.
QUOTE Thanks
Seraphic

Seraphic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.

I have an intellimouse explorer mouse, and I've assigned the scroll wheel click button to close the application, works quite nicely.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to buy a MacBook Pro | A few questions »