New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Speeding up the Dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

So i got this MacWorld article..

y'know how the dock slows down over time?

go to the activity monitor and 'quit process' on the Dock

it will reset it and, for me at least, its run a LOT faster.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
Pixel_Donkey

Pixel_Donkey is on a distinguished road

Woah that is great, I never even noticed it was slow until I did this... thanks!

It was about time I switched... and I am so glad I did.
QUOTE Thanks
LadyInRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_msu
So i got this MacWorld article..

Awesome tip..thanks
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i dont quite get what you mean.
i have gone into activity monitor and ended the process 'dock' but i dont see what it has done. the dock is still there and nothing has happened.

plz explain a bit

thanks

chris tm
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

it might not work for everyone...

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
it might not work for everyone...
Didn't do anything for me. I have never noticed a slowing of the Dock, and I have never heard of such a thing being an issue for that matter either.
Could you please explain in a little more detail what exactly is supposed to happen, or can you link to the article you got this tip from?
It would help some people out and let them understand a little more.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

Mac OS X Hint of the Week
Over time, depending on which Dashboard widgets you use and how often you use them, you may notice that Dashboard grows slower -- each time you activate it, it might take a bit longer, or you may experience delays when working with a given widget. If this is the case, the following tip might help the situation -- but it certainly won't hurt anything to try it.
As you work with various Dashboard widgets, the Dashboard application caches information -- that is, it creates a local copy of various widgets' data. So if you need to access that data again, it's available locally, instead of requiring a trip to the Internet. These cache files are stored in your user's Library -> Caches folder, in a folder named DashboardClient.
So here's the tip: drag all the cache files in that folder to the trash and empty the trash. After doing this, you'll need to restart the Dock (as that's the program that controls Dashboard). You can do this by using Terminal (type killall Dock) or through Activity Monitor (in Applications -> Utilities; type dock into the search box, click once on the Dock process, then click the Quit Process button, then the Quit button in the resulting dialog). The Dock will restart automatically; after it does, try loading Dashboard and see if it's not faster for you.
I was initially quite doubtful -- cache is supposed to speed, not slow, access to information. But after testing it on my own machines, there's no doubt it made a difference. Since these are only cache files, you can't hurt anything by trying. Worst case, you'll find no change in speed, and the cache files will be recreated as needed.
If it works, and you'd like to permanently prevent Dashboard from creating any cache files, that's quite simple to do, too. Navigate to the DashboardClient folder, select it, then open the Get Info window (Command-I). In the General section of the Info window, click the Locked checkbox. That's it -- once the folder is locked, Dashboard won't be able to write to it any more. (Obviously, to reverse this, just open Get Info again and uncheck the Locked box.)
As I noted, this may or may not make any difference for you. My cache folder was nearly 20MB in size, and Dashboard was notably quicker after emptying the cache. A friend's machine, however, had only about 100KB in cache, and he saw no benefit to erasing the files.
For more tips like this one, visit http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/ where I post three hints a week.

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Okay, that makes more sense. It speeds up Dashboard, not the Dock like you stated in your initial post:
Quote:

Personally, I use the Stop Dashboard Widget. It does pretty much the same thing, only it actually kills Dashboard so it doesn't eat up and hog system resources. All you have to do to launch it again is hit F12.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

sorry...

i'm new to the 'lingo'

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
o0getfighted0o

o0getfighted0o is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.1 GHz PPC G5 iMac, 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Macbook Pro

great post man, thanks for the tippy tip
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

ya, i just disable dashboard with mainmenu... its a resource hog.

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Okay, that makes more sense. It speeds up Dashboard, not the Dock like you stated in your initial post:

Personally, I use the Stop Dashboard Widget. It does pretty much the same thing, only it actually kills Dashboard so it doesn't eat up and hog system resources. All you have to do to launch it again is hit F12.

well, now i don't actually have to reply to this post.
thanks DB!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is iWork enough to do what Word,, Excel and PP does? | Help ! - My Entire Pop3 Mail Account Just Dissapeared »