New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Not threatening my career or anything, but. . .

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JMH

. . .I can't seem to get video clips off the web to play on the Quicktime I downloaded. When I select a video, it downloads in a small window, then the icon stays, for example RUF.wmv. It shows up on my desktop, but how do I get it from there into Quicktime? Or am I not understanding something basic? Thanks very much.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
. . .I can't seem to get video clips off the web to play on the Quicktime I downloaded. When I select a video, it downloads in a small window, then the icon stays, for example RUF.wmv. It shows up on my desktop, but how do I get it from there into Quicktime? Or am I not understanding something basic? Thanks very much.
I'm not sure but I think Quicktime doesn't play .wmv files, you need windows media player:

http://download.com.com/3000-2182-10242701.html

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

. . .right. WMV. I get it. Thanks for the gentle reply!
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

NOOOO don't infect your Mac with Windows media player!
Use VLC!
(google for VideoLAN, it'll be the first one. I'm feeling lazy right now.)
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarManta
NOOOO don't infect your Mac with Windows media player!
Use VLC!
(google for VideoLAN, it'll be the first one. I'm feeling lazy right now.)
Does VLC do all the codecs now? Last time I tried it it would only do about half the files I found and had some sound problems.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

it does damn near everything. It's played all but exactly one video file I've thrown at it.
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

Thanks, I'll give VLC a try. Anything to avoid any Windows product. One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

yeah VLC is the way to go.. I use it, i know mac addikt uses it, pretty much anyone whose tried it uses it.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
Thanks, I'll give VLC a try. Anything to avoid any Windows product. One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.
Not quite sure what you mean here... but it sounds like something a click and drag would solve?
QUOTE Thanks
dziner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.
If you download and install VLC - you can drag the VLC icon from your Applications folder into your Dock so it's always there for ya'. Then when you download a movie to your desktop, just drag the file to the VLC icon in the dock. It'll launch VLC and begin playing your movie.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Also, if you want to be able to double-click to play in VLC:

Right-click the file
Open With -> Other
Find VNC
Make sure "Always open with" is checked

There are a number of kinds of video files and each of these must be set like this.
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

Got it. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« three more switchers | weatherbug for mac? »