New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

more newb questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Digger

Digger is on a distinguished road

we've settled on the 24" iMac and the basic Macbook for our daughter. where I'm confused is the best way to configure the iMac as far as hardware, and what software we're going to lose use of. we'll still keep this XP machine, but really don't want to find space for it.

I'd like to think the iMac is a longterm investment. is the onboard memory and video card enough resources for the next few years or would you think an upgrade would be the way to go? I like to play FPS games, and that's probably the most power we'd need out of the system.

as far as software, am I going to lose the ability to use Office 2000? I watched Bootcamp at the Apple store yesterday, but will I have to purchase a new copy of XP to run the iMac and yet another for the Macbook?

and the Superdrive is kind of confusing, can I rip DVD's and CD's and burn them? I'm used to dual drives on our PC and watching the process. we use dvdxcopy.

if anyone can help a newb out, I'd appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It seems to me that you can use Bootcamp just fine to play the games you want on the iMac. Put as much RAM as you can into the iMac, although I'd recommend NOT getting it from Apple as their RAM tends be pricey. You can buy RAM from a local store or a reputable on-line RAM dealer and install it yourself.

For Office, I'd say go out and buy the Student/Teacher edition of Office 2004 Mac foe $149. You get 3 licenses so you'll be set for both machines. Unless you are using a part of the Windows Office suite other than Word/Excel/PP, you will be fine as documents for those 3 apps are cross compatible between Macs and PCs.

For WinXP, the answer is likely yes. You will need to buy a copy of WinXP that includes SP2 as part of the install. Legally you would need to buy 2 copies, but I would hold off and see how much you really need Windows after a while with the Mac, you might be surprised. I'd say wait 3 months before purchasing a second copy of WinXP to be sure.

QUOTE Thanks
Digger

I didn't know you could open the iMac and upgrade the memory on you own. does the same go for the video card?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Read this thread about software:
A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Also, be sure to use the search function on this site. Most of your questions will probably already have been answered.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
The Applenator

The Applenator is on a distinguished road

No. There is no way to upgrade the memory on the video card. Also I just bought a 24" Imac from apple..com, and it was cheaper to upgrade the memory from them rather than any other websites online.
Now the macbook is a different story, you can buy third party vendor ram alot cheaper than from Apple.

24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Applenator
No. There is no way to upgrade the memory on the video card. Also I just bought a 24" Imac from apple..com, and it was cheaper to upgrade the memory from them rather than any other websites online.
Now the macbook is a different story, you can buy third party vendor ram alot cheaper than from Apple.
RAM for my Wife's 20 inch iMac was MUCH cheaper at CompUSA than from Apple. What makes your above statement even more out to lunch is that the iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro all take the same RAM (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) SO-DIMM ).

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I just reviewed the Apple site for the possible 24" iMac upgrades. Based on your long term outlook, I'd suggest the higher end video card as the one must have item.

(I thought I read somewhere that the video is a plug in module based on some standard. IF that is true, than perhaps we'll see upgrades somewhere down the road. I wouldn't rely on that possibility though.)

The .17Ghz (170Mhz) upgrade seems expensive for the minor boost you might see. That is less than an 8 percent gain for a 12.5 percent up charge. To some that is worth it.

Memory is another thing to watch out for. 1GB is decent, but it really depends on what your doing. Apple use both slots in all of their configurations, so if you upgrade further, you have to remove one of the memory modules. Most experienced Mac users buy the minimum memory and buy name brand from a trusted dealer. But price it out, because Apple has been more competitive than in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
The Applenator

The Applenator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
RAM for my Wife's 20 inch iMac was MUCH cheaper at CompUSA than from Apple. What makes your above statement even more out to lunch is that the iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro all take the same RAM (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) SO-DIMM ).
Really???
I upgraded up to 2gb of ram for only $158.00 dollars more.
A search in google showed about an average of $130.00 for just one gb stick. Unless I searched wrong, which i'm pretty sure i didn't, Apple was cheaper.

I guess it just depends who is cheaper the week of.... Some agree with me and some other's disagree.

Unless i'm searching wrong again, here is Compusa's current website pricing for memory.
CompUsa

Click here

24" Imac 3gb of Ram/ 7600Gt with 256mb grphics card
MacBook Pro 2.13ghz,2gb ram,160gb hd
32gb 3GS iPhone, iPad 32gb Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

owned...thanks for clearing all that up.

to the original question, I would say wait three months as someone else said above. I recently figured out that I could open ppt's in keynote which is awesome cause keynote is much faster on my computer. For some reason the microsoft office progs ppt/word/excel run exceptionally slow on my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Applenator
Really???
I upgraded up to 2gb of ram for only $158.00 dollars more.
A search in google showed about an average of $130.00 for just one gb stick. Unless I searched wrong, which i'm pretty sure i didn't, Apple was cheaper.

I guess it just depends who is cheaper the week of.... Some agree with me and some other's disagree.

Unless i'm searching wrong again, here is Compusa's current website pricing for memory.
CompUsa

Click here

Sounds like Apple may have FINALLY dropped their RAM prices. Yes, what I bought my wife was on sale at the time now that I think about it. I think I paid $80 for a 1Gb RAM stick at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgaines
For some reason the microsoft office progs ppt/word/excel run exceptionally slow on my computer.
Let me guess, Intel Mac? If so, Office is running under Rosetta. There have been many reports of poor Office performance under Rosetta.

QUOTE Thanks
Digger

can anyone help me out with my Superdrive questions as well?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
can anyone help me out with my Superdrive questions as well?
The super drive is GREAT!!! YES, you can Rip and burn pretty much anything out there. Rip from the SuperDrive to the Harddrive, burn from the HD back to the SuperDrive onto a Blank CD/DVD.

Most of us either use MacTheRipper or Handbrake to Rip (Both Freeware!).

Mac the Ripper: http://www.mactheripper.org/

Handbrake: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac pro RAM controversy | IMAP new mail check »