New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

can i have help please?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bitofanoob

as my user name says i'm not ver clued up on my mac's and stuff. i am though a casual graphic designer, starting at uni next year. i want to get myself a mac book. i can't afford a pro being a student :ninja:

when will the best time be for me to buy a mac book? i.e will there be a new operating system out soon? will mac books be making any advancments soon etc.

i just don't want to go and buy one now, not knowing they may be better in a few months.

thanks for any help,

Noob.
QUOTE Thanks
Hulk_SMASH

Well, with computers they will ALWAYS be better/cheaper in a few months, that is just a fact of life. With the Core2Duo Meroms just being put into the books recently I think the only big thing coming soon is the OSX upgrade. I wouldn't wait around just for that if you need a machine.
QUOTE Thanks
bitofanoob

thanks for the quick response. it's not hugley urgent. i'd like to familiarise (sp) myself with it before uni etc though. the only mac experience i have is a few weeks working as a gfx designer through the summer. i reckon around february time at the latest is when i want to get one. should i wait for the upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Apple is saying the upgrade will be in the Spring, so Feb may be before it's avialable. I'd say get it when you can and not worry to much about it.

QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk_SMASH
Well, with computers they will ALWAYS be better/cheaper in a few months, that is just a fact of life. With the Core2Duo Meroms just being put into the books recently I think the only big thing coming soon is the OSX upgrade. I wouldn't wait around just for that if you need a machine.

Only the iMac got the Merom. The Books still have the Yonah.
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Even if they do upgrade the OS after you have brought the computer, which is likely, yours will still be able to run the new OS with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
bitofanoob

ah ok. a macbook it is for me then. i'll get one asap. cheers for the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitofanoob
ah ok. a macbook it is for me then. i'll get one asap. cheers for the help everyone.
I raced out when I could finally afford the mac I wanted, only to realise a week later that they had just released the next model which had more features and was within my initial priceframe! Since then (the past 10mths) there's been so much advancement it's still bleeding.....I'm happy waiting for the bleeding to return to cutting edge tech, if it ever will....

~
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
I raced out when I could finally afford the mac I wanted, only to realise a week later that they had just released the next model which had more features and was within my initial priceframe! Since then (the past 10mths) there's been so much advancement it's still bleeding.....I'm happy waiting for the bleeding to return to cutting edge tech, if it ever will....

~
Didn't you have 14 days to return yours at no cost to you, to allow you to get the newer one?

t
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac747
Didn't you have 14 days to return yours at no cost to you, to allow you to get the newer one?

t
Could have, but I didn't find out about the new model nor did I even think I could return mine unless it was faulty.

~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Window users that are MAC WANNA BE'S! | newb question: address bar went missing »