New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Transfer firefox favorites from PC to Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freakout

Hi everyone, I just got a brand spankin' new 20 inch iMac and it's so amazing, I've been messing around with all the settings and programs and I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, is there any way I can transfer my firefox favorites list from my PC onto my mac?

Thanks!

PS-I have the mouse sensitivity settings all the way they can go, but it's still slow. Is there any way I can make it the cursor go faster?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout
Hi everyone, I just got a brand spankin' new 20 inch iMac and it's so amazing, I've been messing around with all the settings and programs and I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, is there any way I can transfer my firefox favorites list from my PC onto my mac?

Thanks!

PS-I have the mouse sensitivity settings all the way they can go, but it's still slow. Is there any way I can make it the cursor go faster?

G'day freakout!

To transfer your FireFox bookmarks from PC to Mac:

On your Windows machine, export your bookmarks,
To open Export, select File -> Export in Firefox's Bookmark Manager.
A dialog window will appear asking you where you want to save the file to.. Ensure that the exported file has the extension '.html' (not '.htm'). Rename if necessary.
Copy that file over to your Mac, and import the bookmarks using Safari's 'File' menu or Firefoxes.
To view your imported bookmarks, select 'Show All Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
They should list your collection of bookmarks from your PC to your Mac as imported bookmarks.

Hope this works for you!!!

~ :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You can use a bookmark sync program for that. I use Foxmarks and it works great. Whenever I add/delete bookmark(s) in one PC/Mac the changes will show up in other Macs/PCs.
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8
G'day freakout!

A dialog window will appear asking you where you want to save the file to.. Ensure that the exported file has the extension '.html' (not '.htm'). Rename if necessary.
Copy that file over to your Mac, and import the bookmarks using Safari's 'File' menu or Firefoxes.
To view your imported bookmarks, select 'Show All Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
They should list your collection of bookmarks from your PC to your Mac as imported bookmarks.

Thank you! Worked great.

Anyway to fix the mouse?
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

Is there any possible way to transfer my music files? I have about 4.5Gigs of music and I don't have an external hard drive, so I was thinking maybe I could like use MSN file transfer, but that took way too long and I gave up. My nano is only 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

If they're on the same network then you can just use a Windows share. Finder should pick it up automatically.
QUOTE Thanks
freakout

What's that? Do I have to download anything?

I have Windows Media Connect for my Xbox 360, is that the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
bandicoot

bandicoot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook4.1: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 2GB memory.

hi there.
many thanks to the previous posters for the helpful info.

i successfully did my own bookmarks transfer earlier this evening....but would like to note one small problem i had.

i was transferring from firefox PC to firefox mac.
when it was time to import the file, the firefox defaulted to "import from safari".
there was no option to import from my disc, or anywhere else.

so i opened safari and imported the file from the disc (no problem).
then i opened firefox and imported the faves from safari.

just a little extra step, but it might save someone having a nervous breakdown.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

bandicoot,

Read novicew's post about Foxmarks. Since you have Firefox, go to its Add-ons page and look for Foxmarks and install it. You'll always have synced "faves" as you call them. I use Foxmarks and it syncs my 2 PCs and my Macbook. Anytime I add or delete a bookmark, it asks me if I want to sync when I shut down. It keeps all your current bookmarks on a server and updates you every time you make a change. (and it's free)...

Great program!

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
Anyway to fix the mouse?

Download and install SteerMouse

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

also agree foxmarks is awesome

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
bandicoot

bandicoot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook4.1: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 2GB memory.

thanks for the tip, noels.
will check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

Here's a neat tip for your bookmark.html file that works with PC or Mac. Click on File->open file->bookmark.html (or whatever your exported file is called). Go into Preferences and set the homepage as the current page. Now, your homepage when you open your browser will be your bookmarks.

I've been doing this for years and love it. I can't think of a single page on the internet more useful than my own bookmarks as a homepage.
QUOTE Thanks
hansni

hansni is on a distinguished road

My Bookmarks.html file in .....firefox/data/profile/bookmarks.html does not contain any of MY bookmarks, could you please tell me where the correct file is located, on the PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBite View Post
G'day freakout!

QUOTE Thanks
hansni

hansni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noels View Post
bandicoot,

Read novicew's post about Foxmarks. Since you have Firefox, go to its Add-ons page and look for Foxmarks and install it. You'll always have synced "faves" as you call them. I use Foxmarks and it syncs my 2 PCs and my Macbook. Anytime I add or delete a bookmark, it asks me if I want to sync when I shut down. It keeps all your current bookmarks on a server and updates you every time you make a change. (and it's free)...

Great program!

Noel
Please tell me how FireFox retrieves the info off my PC. What can they read from my PC/Mac and what remains private? I have something against unknown people getting hold of my personal details. Can you say anything about that, please? Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iPhone User | Pages and iTunes questions. »