Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Transfer firefox favorites from PC to Mac? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/42891-transfer-firefox-favorites-pc-mac.html)

freakout 10-07-2006 02:29 AM

Transfer firefox favorites from PC to Mac?
 
Hi everyone, I just got a brand spankin' new 20 inch iMac and it's so amazing, I've been messing around with all the settings and programs and I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, is there any way I can transfer my firefox favorites list from my PC onto my mac?

Thanks!

PS-I have the mouse sensitivity settings all the way they can go, but it's still slow. Is there any way I can make it the cursor go faster?

NanoBite 10-07-2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakout
Hi everyone, I just got a brand spankin' new 20 inch iMac and it's so amazing, I've been messing around with all the settings and programs and I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, is there any way I can transfer my firefox favorites list from my PC onto my mac?

Thanks!

PS-I have the mouse sensitivity settings all the way they can go, but it's still slow. Is there any way I can make it the cursor go faster?


G'day freakout!

To transfer your FireFox bookmarks from PC to Mac:

On your Windows machine, export your bookmarks,
To open Export, select File -> Export in Firefox's Bookmark Manager.
A dialog window will appear asking you where you want to save the file to.. Ensure that the exported file has the extension '.html' (not '.htm'). Rename if necessary.
Copy that file over to your Mac, and import the bookmarks using Safari's 'File' menu or Firefoxes.
To view your imported bookmarks, select 'Show All Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
They should list your collection of bookmarks from your PC to your Mac as imported bookmarks.

Hope this works for you!!!

~ :yinyang:

novicew 10-07-2006 02:44 AM

You can use a bookmark sync program for that. I use Foxmarks and it works great. Whenever I add/delete bookmark(s) in one PC/Mac the changes will show up in other Macs/PCs.

freakout 10-07-2006 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pulse-8
G'day freakout!

To transfer your FireFox bookmarks from PC to Mac:

On your Windows machine, export your bookmarks,
To open Export, select File -> Export in Firefox's Bookmark Manager.
A dialog window will appear asking you where you want to save the file to.. Ensure that the exported file has the extension '.html' (not '.htm'). Rename if necessary.
Copy that file over to your Mac, and import the bookmarks using Safari's 'File' menu or Firefoxes.
To view your imported bookmarks, select 'Show All Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
They should list your collection of bookmarks from your PC to your Mac as imported bookmarks.

Hope this works for you!!!

~ :yinyang:

Thank you! Worked great. :)

Anyway to fix the mouse?

freakout 10-07-2006 05:34 PM

Is there any possible way to transfer my music files? I have about 4.5Gigs of music and I don't have an external hard drive, so I was thinking maybe I could like use MSN file transfer, but that took way too long and I gave up. My nano is only 2GB. :(

cazabam 10-07-2006 05:36 PM

If they're on the same network then you can just use a Windows share. Finder should pick it up automatically.

freakout 10-07-2006 06:13 PM

What's that? Do I have to download anything?

I have Windows Media Connect for my Xbox 360, is that the same thing?

bandicoot 05-02-2008 06:51 AM

hi there.
many thanks to the previous posters for the helpful info.

i successfully did my own bookmarks transfer earlier this evening....but would like to note one small problem i had.

i was transferring from firefox PC to firefox mac.
when it was time to import the file, the firefox defaulted to "import from safari".
there was no option to import from my disc, or anywhere else.

so i opened safari and imported the file from the disc (no problem).
then i opened firefox and imported the faves from safari.

just a little extra step, but it might save someone having a nervous breakdown.

Noels 05-02-2008 09:47 AM

bandicoot,

Read novicew's post about Foxmarks. Since you have Firefox, go to its Add-ons page and look for Foxmarks and install it. You'll always have synced "faves" as you call them. I use Foxmarks and it syncs my 2 PCs and my Macbook. Anytime I add or delete a bookmark, it asks me if I want to sync when I shut down. It keeps all your current bookmarks on a server and updates you every time you make a change. (and it's free)...

Great program!

Noel

Dysfunction 05-02-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakout (Post 264450)
Anyway to fix the mouse?


Download and install SteerMouse

getuptogetdown 05-02-2008 12:43 PM

also agree foxmarks is awesome

bandicoot 05-03-2008 06:15 AM

thanks for the tip, noels.
will check it out.

belunos 05-03-2008 09:14 AM

Here's a neat tip for your bookmark.html file that works with PC or Mac. Click on File->open file->bookmark.html (or whatever your exported file is called). Go into Preferences and set the homepage as the current page. Now, your homepage when you open your browser will be your bookmarks.

I've been doing this for years and love it. I can't think of a single page on the internet more useful than my own bookmarks as a homepage.

hansni 07-31-2008 02:11 AM

My Bookmarks.html file in .....firefox/data/profile/bookmarks.html does not contain any of MY bookmarks, could you please tell me where the correct file is located, on the PC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanoBite (Post 264433)
G'day freakout!

To transfer your FireFox bookmarks from PC to Mac:

On your Windows machine, export your bookmarks,
To open Export, select File -> Export in Firefox's Bookmark Manager.
A dialog window will appear asking you where you want to save the file to.. Ensure that the exported file has the extension '.html' (not '.htm'). Rename if necessary.
Copy that file over to your Mac, and import the bookmarks using Safari's 'File' menu or Firefoxes.
To view your imported bookmarks, select 'Show All Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu.
They should list your collection of bookmarks from your PC to your Mac as imported bookmarks.

Hope this works for you!!!

~ :yinyang:


hansni 07-31-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noels (Post 646705)
bandicoot,

Read novicew's post about Foxmarks. Since you have Firefox, go to its Add-ons page and look for Foxmarks and install it. You'll always have synced "faves" as you call them. I use Foxmarks and it syncs my 2 PCs and my Macbook. Anytime I add or delete a bookmark, it asks me if I want to sync when I shut down. It keeps all your current bookmarks on a server and updates you every time you make a change. (and it's free)...

Great program!

Noel

Please tell me how FireFox retrieves the info off my PC. What can they read from my PC/Mac and what remains private? I have something against unknown people getting hold of my personal details. Can you say anything about that, please? Cheers


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.