New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

saving a resized window??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Copper Top

Copper Top is on a distinguished road

How do you save a window view that has been resized??

ie: when you click on the hard drive you have like 5 or so icons, No problems there everthing fits fine in the view, but when you click on apps there like 25 or 30 program icon or folders, i drag the window for a bigger view, how do i save that view, so evertime i clik on apps the window will remain the same size.

thanks for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Finder should remember the size of the last window closed. If you set your window size how you like it, then close it, it should recognize that setting and open in that size the next time you launch a Finder window.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

It won't remember the settings of a window you open from another window, however.

Say you open your "HD" folder, then move to your Apps folder and resize it how you like. It won't open like that if you go straight to your apps.

You'll have to open your apps folder (Command+Shift+A) and set the bounds of the window from there.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I leave the above option unchecked which means that Finder always remembers my preferred window size.
QUOTE Thanks
Copper Top

Copper Top is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
It won't remember the settings of a window you open from another window, however.

Say you open your "HD" folder, then move to your Apps folder and resize it how you like. It won't open like that if you go straight to your apps.

You'll have to open your apps folder (Command+Shift+A) and set the bounds of the window from there.
That seems to be the best way, Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Top
How do you save a window view that has been resized??
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
It will with a folder action attached to it. I've used folder actions since OS 9, and some common OS 9 and OS X folders on my dual-boot machine have both systems' folder actions attached.

I have the OS X Applications folder open in List view on the left side of the screen so I can easily drag new apps from disk images into it, and otherwise fiddle with it. If you attach a folder action to the Applications folder or any other the folder will always open the next time the way you set it up and where you want it, no matter where you move it, change its size or change it's view after it's open.

For an overview, type folder actions in the Finder's Help search, and click on Running an automation when a folder is changed.

This is the folder action attached to my Applications folder:

on opening folder this_folder
tell application "Finder"
select Finder window 1
set current view of Finder window 1 to list view
set toolbar visible of Finder window 1 to false
set bounds of Finder window 1 to {0, 44, 257, 624}
end tell
end opening folder

I've used this as a template, and changed the numbers and view settings and saved it under other names, then attached the new ones to other folders.

They must be saved as scripts, not applications. There are a bunch in the Folder Actions Scripts folder in the drive's Library>Scripts folder>Folder Actions Scripts folder not the Folder Actions folder.

To turn Folder Actions on, right-click/control-click a folder, and slide down to Configure Folder Actions. Then to choose a folder-action script, right-click/control-click a folder and slide down to Attach Folder Action. You can stack actions on top of one another, and they'll all run every time the folder opens.
QUOTE Thanks
xgman

xgman is on a distinguished road

does this folder action still work in leopard?

Mac Pro - 8 core xeon 5462 (3.2ghz each) - 8GB ram - 8800GT - Dual boot leopard/vista Hitachi 7k1000's - Konnekt Live-Samsung HTAS720ST sound - Dell3007wfp
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Bump please
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

For me any window I resize is automatically saved. I guess that's a good thing, although I wonder why that's only happening for me and not anyone else.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
For me any window I resize is automatically saved. I guess that's a good thing, although I wonder why that's only happening for me and not anyone else.
That's happening for me, too, but why do we have to resize each new folder window we create? I'd like to just set a default window size and leave it at that.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
That's happening for me, too, but why do we have to resize each new folder window we create? I'd like to just set a default window size and leave it at that.
I don't know if this is true or not, considering I haven't tried it yet, but there's got to be an option under System Preferences that allows you to set the default size of a window.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
istacey

istacey is on a distinguished road

How do I resize a window when somehow the window got so long that I can not reach the bottom right hand corner?

It only happens when I open Finder through my hard drive. If I open through any other way, it's fine.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (310.5 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Froze | Buy now or wait a few months »