New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which Mac is best for Video Editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pixelreality

Hi all. I have done a search of these threads first but haven't found what I am looking for. This is my first post as I am just about to order my first Mac, but I don't know what to get. I mainly need to do video editing (Final Cut Pro) but will also be doing 3d and 2d animation. Have always used PC's and have decided it's time to cross over!

I have priced a G5 dual 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM but have been told by those who have Macs that it may be overkill for the price. Is this correct? If so, what Mac will be best?

Also, I am tempted to get the 20" Cinema Display for the extra screen real estate but am confused about the bad mouthing they get.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelreality
Hi all. I have done a search of these threads first but haven't found what I am looking for. This is my first post as I am just about to order my first Mac, but I don't know what to get. I mainly need to do video editing (Final Cut Pro) but will also be doing 3d and 2d animation. Have always used PC's and have decided it's time to cross over!

I have priced a G5 dual 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM but have been told by those who have Macs that it may be overkill for the price. Is this correct? If so, what Mac will be best?

Also, I am tempted to get the 20" Cinema Display for the extra screen real estate but am confused about the bad mouthing they get.

Thanks in advance.
the G5 is a fast computer, especially in a dual processor configuration. if you don't want to spend quite so much, though, even a dual processor power mac G4 would be great. i have the latest power mac G4 (see my specs), and it runs wicked fast. if you're looking to use this machine for a lot of intense video and 3d work for a good number of years, the G5 is probly your best bet since it won't be outdated so soon. the G4 is great, but as for the pro line, it's definitely on its way out. hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
JGO

I just got my Mac litterally on Monday, I do have a little insight from swithcing from a PC, and even doing minor video editing.

I have a lower end G4 733 with 896 MB RAM.
My PC is a Pentium 4 2.26 with 512 MB or RAM.

Both have firewire, and I have a firewire camcorder.

On the PC I would use either Windows Movie Maker, or Pinacle Studio 7 to capture vide.

On the Mac I used iMovie.

What is interesting is that the Mac has a much easier time capturing the video and manipulating it. It does this with notable ease in relation to the PC, even though the PC has a much faster (mghz) processor, and a video card with litterally four times as much RAM (don't know if that matters but thought I would throw it in there.)

So my point is ... trying to judge a Mac on performace when coming from a PC is not an apples to apples comparison (pardon the pun)

I guess the point I am getting at is that the G5's would most certainly do the job ... however you may be able to save a consideralbe ammount of money and go with a lower end G5, or perhaps a G4.

I got my G4 for $650, with a superdrive.
QUOTE Thanks
pixelreality

Thanks for the info. I guess I was looking to get a higher end machine so that I can keep it for longer (ie make it a bit more future proof to a certain extent) cause I know I probably wont get another one for a while!

On the topic of comparisons to PC's, I understand that it is difficult to compare the two, but is there a table that shows equivalent speeds of PC processors and ram as opposed to Macs? Eg. what is a Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor equivalent too on a Mac? (And I don't mean the charts that apple provide obviously showing how fast they are in certain programs!)
QUOTE Thanks
NaRO

Look for any Mac that uses nVidia GPU's they rock !!
QUOTE Thanks
JGO

It is next to impossible to get good effective honest benchmarks and comparisons between the two.

You can find benchmarks stating that either is faster in any function.

I think honestly that PC's are often times faster, if nothing else because you can now buy a 3 + gigaherz PC

About the most unbiased site I have found is this:

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGO
It is next to impossible to get good effective honest benchmarks and comparisons between the two.

You can find benchmarks stating that either is faster in any function.

I think honestly that PC's are often times faster, if nothing else because you can now buy a 3 + gigaherz PC

About the most unbiased site I have found is this:

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

Hope that helps.
Here is my nickol on the subject, it is like comparing Apples and oranges, that are both fruit and good for you. For me the best way to compare a typical PC computer verse an Apple type computer, is as follows:

If you look at dragster and a NHRA stock car, they both can do about 250 MPH. They are just designed to do it in a different fashion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« it's here! | CAPSLOCK and Quicken »