New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

clean install w/o data loss

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

So I want to start fresh but have all my docs and mail saved. Is there an easy way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

archive and install option. it backs up y our stuff and simply installs all OS related materials. do a forum and google search for more information.

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
climbguy

climbguy is an unknown at this point

I probably didn't explain what I want to do right or just don't understand what i did.

So i ran the archive re-instal and now i still have all the same programs as a did before, but now I also have the pre-instal stuff I never installed and some programs wont start.

I installed a lot of random stuff when I first got my Mac. I want it to be nice and clean, w/o a bunch of programs, components, I don't use.
QUOTE Thanks
sabotage

sabotage is on a distinguished road

I've had my first mac for close to a year now, and i've been wondering the same thing.

Maybe it's just a habit from the many years of windows - maybe running AppZapper is really all that is needed? But still, it doesn't 'feel' clean like when I used to do a fresh wipe of windows.

Sab
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbguy
So I want to start fresh but have all my docs and mail saved. Is there an easy way to do this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "start fresh".

That trick did work in Windows, but doesn't do anything for Mac.
This is Mac, not Windows, and reinstalling the OS is not going to get you any performance increase or enhancement.
If there are apps, components or other items that you don't use, then simply delete them. There is absolutely no need to go through the hassle of reinstalling the OS.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
sabotage

While it is true, you can simply delete the programs you no longer use, and probably would gain nothing from a 'fresh start', I don't like the idea of trialware spitting files throughout my system without my permission/knowledge.
Its just too.. Windows.

For example, if you install a trial program, and later delete it, and again install the same program, you will find that not only does it remember your trial has expired, but it often remembers your user preferences! Even using the popular 'AppZapper' doesn't get rid of all the files.

Sure, the files are miniscule in size, and not affecting performance, but I don't want them for all eternity.

-Sab
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage
For example, if you install a trial program, and later delete it, and again install the same program, you will find that not only does it remember your trial has expired, but it often remembers your user preferences! Even using the popular 'AppZapper' doesn't get rid of all the files.

Sure, the files are miniscule in size, and not affecting performance, but I don't want them for all eternity.

-Sab
You can manually delete those files if you like. If you want to be as thorough as you possibly can, just do a Spotlight search on the app name and delete every instance of it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
sabotage

I'd don't see this happening with decent trialware application. I highly doubt you'll get to renew your trial period by simply searching common naming schemes.

Besides that, I got rid of GarageBand, and found another 2 GB of related files left behind.

-Sab
QUOTE Thanks
sabotage

Stumbled across the solution:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17138
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Voice recognition | Extended warranty? »