New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

begin stupid Mac questions


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
supenguin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

OK. Just got a new ibook last night. First time I've actually used MacOS/X besides playing around at the Apple Store or friends powerbooks. Anyway... Here come the first of my stupid Mac questions... Most of them are trivial issues

1. When I installed, I didn't pay attention to what it made my default username. It did my full name in all lowercase with no spaces. I just want it to be my first name. Any way to change it, or am I stuck with creating a new user?

1.a It made the computer name My Name's Computer. Any way to change that?

2. I have a stack of CD's with mp3's on them. Any way to add them to my itunes playlist while the CD is in, then remove them when its not? For now, I've just been copying them to my hard drive by dragging the CD to itunes.

3. There is no question 3. At least not yet.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

 
MacAddikt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2002
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,118
MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

MacAddikt is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by supenguin
OK. Just got a new ibook last night. First time I've actually used MacOS/X besides playing around at the Apple Store or friends powerbooks. Anyway... Here come the first of my stupid Mac questions... Most of them are trivial issues
Welcome to the Mac Community!

Quote:
1. When I installed, I didn't pay attention to what it made my default username. It did my full name in all lowercase with no spaces. I just want it to be my first name. Any way to change it, or am I stuck with creating a new user?
dont worry about this. its something the computer needs. besides seeing it occassionally, youll normally only see/use your full name.

Quote:
1.a It made the computer name My Name's Computer. Any way to change that?
open System Preferences >> Sharing... where it says My Name's Computer.local, enter what you want it to be called in the space.

Quote:
2. I have a stack of CD's with mp3's on them. Any way to add them to my itunes playlist while the CD is in, then remove them when its not? For now, I've just been copying them to my hard drive by dragging the CD to itunes.
if youre not pressed for space, its best to just use them off your hard drive. then theyll always be there. but if you want, go to iTunes >> Preferences >> Advanced ... unclick the "Copy FIles to iTunes Music Folder" .. then the path to the file will point to the file on the CD ... but this means you can only listen to those songs while that CD is in your computer.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac Apple
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

When import mp3s over from a cd I simply open up the cd so the files are shown in a window. Then I open iTunes and i simple select the mp3s, then press CTRL + Left Click on the selected files and then go to open with in the drop down menu. Then select iTunes. It will import all the mp3s to your iTunes library and you never have to worry about the cd aqain.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« First Mac. | Ordered my iMac today »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iPod for Windows and Mac? MacAddikt iPod Hardware and Accessories 12 03-31-2007 10:33 AM
The stupid Mac vs. Windows crap! sKaD Schweb's Lounge 79 09-22-2004 08:12 PM
Questions About Buying, and Mac in general Oz10 Apple Notebooks 12 09-15-2003 05:51 AM
Your Mac Life tonight... schweb Schweb's Lounge 0 03-26-2003 01:21 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 11:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?