New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

finally got a new mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

supenguin

What a great weekend! I finally got a new Mac after wanting one since OS/X first came out. Talk about a LONG wait! Anyway, a little info - I'm a Linux geek, my wife is a graphic designer. OS/X is the perfect OS for us - I get to do my Unix-type stuff and she can do her stuff.

I had been planning on saving up for a 15" Powerbook, but Friday we got a flyer from Microcenter. Ibook 900 mhz g3 with combo drive for $799. On top of that you get a $100 rebate if you sign up for a Microcenter credit card and put the ibook on it. Sign up for the CC, pay it off right away, close the account after getting the rebate. Sounds good :-) Oh yeah, the ad said it had a 40 GB drive, turned out it was 60. Also, I didn't realize it came with Airport Extreme built in and 10.2.4 installed, but it came with Panther on CD. As you can tell, I'm very happy with the deal. I don't think you can even get this model ibook for that price on ebay.

Wow, this post has ended up being a little long. I have a couple questions, but I'll put that in a seperate thread to give your eyes a break!

Just gotta say this... This is actually my second Mac. My first was a Perfoma 6200CD I bought off a college buddy for $50 back in 2000. Its running 7.5.5. Quite a difference between the ibook and the performa!
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Wow, nice deal!
*runs off to microcenter...*
QUOTE Thanks
supenguin

OK, went back to Microcenter to get a stick of 512 MB of RAM and also the adaptor so I can hook the new ibook up to the TV... I ended up talking to the sales guy there, and he said the $799 - $100 rebate deal was supposed to be on the 900 mhz with 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB hard drive. Apple shipped them the wrong ones! Even on their site, 256 MB of RAM and 40 GB is $949!

Also, the sales guy claimed that this thing has an Airport Extreme when the site lists regular Airport. How do you tell? I didn't see anything about "Extreme" on the Airport card when I upgraded the RAM. Would it say in the System Profiler?

Oh yeah, anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area may want to book it down to the Bethel Road Microcenter!
QUOTE Thanks
dmachine

dmachine is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supenguin
OK, went back to Microcenter to get a stick of 512 MB of RAM and also the adaptor so I can hook the new ibook up to the TV... I ended up talking to the sales guy there, and he said the $799 - $100 rebate deal was supposed to be on the 900 mhz with 128 MB of RAM and 40 GB hard drive. Apple shipped them the wrong ones! Even on their site, 256 MB of RAM and 40 GB is $949!

Also, the sales guy claimed that this thing has an Airport Extreme when the site lists regular Airport. How do you tell? I didn't see anything about "Extreme" on the Airport card when I upgraded the RAM. Would it say in the System Profiler?

Oh yeah, anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area may want to book it down to the Bethel Road Microcenter!

On the Aiprort card it would say Aiport Extreme. You still got a great deal on the whole package.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Totally Digging it.. | Please Help...MUST GID RID OF PC... »