Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dacomputernerd
    Maximum battery power...
    Hey guys, im brand new to macs. I have done some fixing/IT work on an old G4 Imac at work, and i've built 10+ PCs and maintain them on a weekly basis for my work. (just to give you an idea about my general knowledge)

I am looking to purchase a Macbook Pro 15" 2Ghz (1gig ram), as an upgrade to my HP 850Mhz laptop that i am currently using (SLOW as heck). Ill be running bootcamp for my pc apps yada yada yada, im sure you all have heard this before...

My main concern will be battery life. I am still in school and would like the battery to last 5-5.5 hours on one charge, using only microsoft word in OSX to take notes most of the time. Is it possible to get this much battery life out of the Macbook pro? Apple rates it at 4.5Hrs i believe.

I know all the standard stuff, like putting on max battery power settings, standby when not using, no cd in drive, lowest brightness level, shutoff airport/bluetooth ETC ETC ETC.

Is there anything macbook specific i can do? Yes i have read the tutorial on apple's website on how to conserve battery power, but im looking to get every last bit of battery time out of this thing.

And if 5-5.5 hrs is simply not possible, does someone make a portable external battery/charger for the Macbook pro? Maybe like a small 12V battery with an inverter built in (it would only have to be 85W).

Thanks in advanced for all your help,
    Kelvyn

Maximum battery power...
    Specs:
    iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
    calibrate your battery.

Maximum battery power...

Is there anyway i can prevent my mac from going into sleep when i drain the battery all the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulokoy
    calibrate your battery.

Maximum battery power...

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Quote Originally Posted by climbguy
    Is there anyway i can prevent my mac from going into sleep when i drain the battery all the way down?
    thats its built in functionality to prevent data loss.
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Maximum battery power...

I understand that, but if i want to drain the battery all the way down when i callibarate it can i turn it off?

Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
    thats its built in functionality to prevent data loss.

Maximum battery power...

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    I understand that, but if i want to drain the battery all the way down when i callibarate it can i turn it off?
    It would make sense but you can't. That's why apple says to leave it in the forced sleep mode for a few hours before plugging it back in
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

dacomputernerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulokoy
    calibrate your battery.
    Im talking about day to day usage tips, and i would be pretty much draining it down all the way each day, so that wouldnt really be needed too often.

Any further responces would be appriciated

-Kelvyn

Maximum battery power...
    Specs:
    iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
    with these new battery technology, you dont even have to drain them down to zero at all. why do you need to drain it all the way down each day?

do you mean to say once battery is drained, and dont use it until it is fully charged?

"i would be pretty much draining it down all the way each day, so that wouldnt really be needed too often"
    - that is like calibrating your battery daily.

Maximum battery power...
    Specs:
    1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
    Quote Originally Posted by dacomputernerd
    Im talking about day to day usage tips, and i would be pretty much draining it down all the way each day, so that wouldnt really be needed too often.

Any further responces would be appriciated

-Kelvyn
    The most I've gotten out of my MBP (specs on left) is 3 hours. That's with minimum screen brightness, Airport on and not doing too much (iTunes, Firefox). From what I read it seems 3-3.5 hours is normal. Any more and you may want to consider the standard Macbook, it apparently gets around 5 hours.

dacomputernerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Chundermuffin
    The most I've gotten out of my MBP (specs on left) is 3 hours. That's with minimum screen brightness, Airport on and not doing too much (iTunes, Firefox). From what I read it seems 3-3.5 hours is normal. Any more and you may want to consider the standard Macbook, it apparently gets around 5 hours.
    son. That sucks!

Do you know of any portable charging solutions then?

Maximum battery power...
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Where do you go to school? At my college in every classroom there are at the very least 6-10 plugs for people with laptops. Not to mention the library and study rooms which were built for laptop use and have probably 100 or more plugs. I usually run on battery until I need to plug in, and then plug in and let it charge while I work.

--lifeafter2am
    masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am

Maximum battery power...
    Specs:
    MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
    i have the 13.3" 1.83ghz MACBOOK, i get around 3.5hrs of use thats with closing the screen off and on all day.... keeps goin in and out of sleep mode. Still not bad. i always run my battery down to 10mins or less then recharge fully before i unplug it to keep max battery life.

A great thing is my battery died in windows yesterday.... Yes i infected it with winblows via Bootcamp.... the mac just went to sleep. and the fan came on for a while i couldnt figure it out but now i know. Cool stuff.

I would like a macbook would get better life then the macbook pro, but they do have a better battery then the reg macbook. if your not doing big apps just get the macbook. its a great size and fits anywhere.

-J

dacomputernerd
    Umm, ya my school doesnt have too many plugs, and they are always being used by other things. Id be draining the battery down everyday in class.

I would LOVE to get a macbook instead of the PRO (smaller, sexier, lighter, whiter, magnetic screen catch etc etc), but i want/need the extra graphics power for games that the pro has.

EDIT

So there isnt even a way to get 4.5 hours like apple says?. Like i said, i would just be using microsoft word for taking notes.

Is there a program to turn off the HDD? I could just load MS word, turn off the HDD, and then save on a flash drive.

Maximum battery power...

Don't get me wrong I like small but would you really take polycarbonate over aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by dacomputernerd
    I would LOVE to get a macbook instead of the PRO (smaller, sexier, lighter, whiter, magnetic screen catch etc etc), but i want/need the extra graphics power for games that the pro has.

dacomputernerd
    Don't get me wrong I like small but would you really take polycarbonate over aluminum?
    actually, yes.

Thread Information