newbie101
    Question About Hiding Apps On The Dock
    is there any way to literally hide an application from the dock or can you just hide the window and make the icon appear different??

Specs:
    MacBook
    To hide an app, just make sure it is in focus and hit Command+H.
    You can also hide the Dock by hitting Option+Command+D.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

newbie101
    no but i mean literally making the icon not appear in the dock at all

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie101
    no but i mean literally making the icon not appear in the dock at all
    No, you can't do that.
    You would have to actually hide the Dock. Really though, just curious... why would you even need to do such a thing?

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    No, you can't do that.
    You would have to actually hide the Dock. Really though, just curious... why would you even need to do such a thing?

Yes you can.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...10701191518268

I can't speak as to why newbie would want to do this, but I could see myself doing it if i had an app that i wanted to keep open all the time but I didn't need an icon cluttering the dock. Apple even allows Dashboard to do this without changing any files.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by dohidied
    Yes you can.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...10701191518268

I can't speak as to why newbie would want to do this, but I could see myself doing it if i had an app that i wanted to keep open all the time but I didn't need an icon cluttering the dock. Apple even allows Dashboard to do this without changing any files.
    I was aware of this, so technically I lied. :p
    The reason though is that I wouldn't suggest altering files like that or using 'sudo' terminal commands for newbies. It can and has in some cases, caused more headaches and problems than solutions for those new to the OS. (As can be seen by some of the comments made on that very page).
    If one was experienced and comfortable enough with *nix commands and/or OS X then I would say go for it. :black:

newbie101
    thnx for the help, but i tried what they told me to do and when i launch the app the icon appears on the dock, then goes away, but the program doesnt start up

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    There you have the mess. Reverse that.

If you don't want something appearing in the Dock, start it at login and check the "Hide" box in system prefs > users > login items

It'll start when you start the machine, but it'll be hidden. Problem is, you have no acces to the program through the User Interface.... but it's running, secretleeeee *ppssst*.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I thought that only hid the applications window, not its dock icon?

I'm curious to know the benefits of hiding an apps icon in the dock....?

I mean it only takes a nanosecond or two to hold the mouse down while the arrow is over the icon and when it's highlighted, just a simple upwards flick sends the icon into oblivion but keeps the app open.

Specs:
    Well I know Quicksilver can hide the dock icon even while it's active, simply because you almost never need to actually click it... (You use a keyboard shortcut instead).
    So in some cases I can see it making sense to be able to get rid of the icon to reduce dock clutter...
    (Dashboard is another superfluous dock icon that I never use)

I have been using Quicksilver for a week and it's very useful. I love how quickly I can launch Mail, Safari and iTunes when I log on.

Specs:
    iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
    you can use this app here to hide dock items

Specs:
    *Zzzzz* wait, who woke the dead?

Specs:
    iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
    lol, I just found that program and remembered that someone on the forum asked a question about it.

Thread Information