New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Paralells Setup Overview - MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Logan

Hey everyone, I convinced my office after donig a keynote presentation on a mac mini to buy a mac.

I did it on a 800 dollar mac mini, my boss loved it.

However, I know to do realistic presentations it's probably ideal to buy a macbook (for portability sake, and get support of playing keynote on a projector while having notes on the laptop if the user wants it).

My boss wanted me to price the costs of the macbook, so she can figure out if it's worth the money or not.

Here's what I propose:

(if link works)

Subtotal $1,678.00
Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping

* 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
* 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
* 80GB Serial ATA drive
* SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Then add 80 bucks for Paralells, since the office has a couple "easy" programs as I call it, one is a piece of software that takes up 7 megs of RAM in windows, is entirely network-ran... the other is Office.

My question is, do you think 1 gig of RAM in the above setup worth the money? Paralells will run well correct? and when I do presentations there'll be no lag even when splitting the display between the laptop (preview mode) and projector?

Also do you think it's worth waiting for leopard?

thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

A gig of ram is always worth the money, but one thing to check for sure is Parallels, make sure it will run on your system. I just bought a Mac Pro, intel machine and it does not run on it at this time, they are still working on it. Other than that, sounds like a really nice setup...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

After some additional discussion I may not need paralells.

That above setup should run Keynote on two displays without a problem ya?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I dont think MacBooks will run two displays. I think you can use an external display or the MacBook screen, just not both at the same time. I know the iBooks are this way so I would assume the MacBooks are, but please double check I could be wrong.

If you ever did need to run those windows programs, just use bootcamp, then you save yourself $80.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

You can run both displays on a MacBook at the same time. From the Apple support site at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303722

Quote:
The video output port allows video mirroring, which allows you to see the same image on your MacBook display and on an external monitor, television, or projector. It also allows extended desktop, in which the second display gives you additional desktop real estate. You can use your MacBook in lid closed mode if the computer is connected to an external display, keyboard, and mouse.
I highly recommend Parallels over BootCamp. I've used both extensively and it's definitely worth the (relatively small) expense.

And I would recommend putting as much memory in the machine as you can afford. I have 2 GB in my MacBook and I'm glad I do.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

As far as the memory goes... I know this from expeirince... managers want bottom dollar. If she's going to approve or disapprove over a few hundred dollars, get the Macbook with the bare minimum of memory and then get 2 x1gb sticks from someone like Newegg.com. It's cheaper by at least $100.

Good luck,
Bishop
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
You can run both displays on a MacBook at the same time. From the Apple support site at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303722

I highly recommend Parallels over BootCamp. I've used both extensively and it's definitely worth the (relatively small) expense.

And I would recommend putting as much memory in the machine as you can afford. I have 2 GB in my MacBook and I'm glad I do.

Good luck!

Alright good, thanks for clearing things up.
QUOTE Thanks
psycht

psycht is an unknown at this point

You forgot to add in the cost of an XP license and Office XP costs in your total. That's crucial in a business setting, for fear of being audited.
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycht
You forgot to add in the cost of an XP license and Office XP costs in your total. That's crucial in a business setting, for fear of being audited.
She most likely has licenses for this software sitting around,since the entire company uses both of these products extensively...
QUOTE Thanks
Hikaru79

Hikaru79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
one thing to check for sure is Parallels, make sure it will run on your system. I just bought a Mac Pro, intel machine and it does not run on it at this time, they are still working on it. Other than that, sounds like a really nice setup...
Er, huh? I have an Intel-based Macbook Pro and I can assure you it runs Parallels excellently.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

don't buy your ram from apple.

i got patriot RAM from new egg, 2 gb's for 170 bucks.

works GREAT.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

If I buy the ram on the aftermarket I would have to open up the macbook to put it in right? Is this an easy task and worth the headache compared to just getting it stock for a little more? I've always disliked messing with laptops internally.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The answer is right on Apple's Support Site.

It's very easy to do.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
If I buy the ram on the aftermarket I would have to open up the macbook to put it in right? Is this an easy task and worth the headache compared to just getting it stock for a little more? I've always disliked messing with laptops internally.

if i can do it, you can prbly sustain a massive head injury and still do it better than i.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cisco VPN Client | Changing Visualization Options »