New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacPro hardware limitations?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
asolo

 
Member Since: May 30, 2006
Posts: 205
asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

asolo is offline
Not sure this belongs here but it is along my intended "swltching" path so I'm doing it anyway.

Originally intended to learn the OS on iMac -- which I've now had for two months -- and maybe a year down the road after MacPro intro and stabilization move on up. Now the the MacPro is here. However.....

1) Specs for built-in optical drive are pretty dull. (CD-burning at 24x -- blah!) My understanding is that optical drives for this unit are NOT interchangeable with aftermarket units. Not user-serviceable. Is that right?

2) Same for HD's. I am left with the impression that HD bays will NOT accomodate HD's other than Apple's own. Is that right?

I may have this wrong but I presently have the impression that this new unit is pretty limited in these ways which, if so, is very disappointing for me to learn. Am hoping to be informed I've got it wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

 
PowerBookG4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,190
PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

PowerBookG4 is offline
1) I belive this to be true.

2) I am prety sure hard drives can be upgraded later with after market ones, like the current macs. The only thing that makes me curious is the fact that they are swapable with out wires, so any hard drive can fit in there I believe, but currious if the mac comes with all 4 hard drive "trays" to add hard drives to it, or if you have to buy those from apple.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,560
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
The Manual on the Mac Pro SHOWS you how to change the optical drive and how to install a 2nd drive. My friend owns one plus I have the manual. My friend bought a 16x Dual Layer Sony and installed it in 2 minutes. Works perfectally.

You can install pretty much any SATA Hard Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

 
PowerBookG4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,190
PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

PowerBookG4 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
You can install pretty much any SATA Hard Drive.
So opening the mac pro and looking inside it comes with the hard drive brackets..

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
london

 
Member Since: Aug 11, 2006
Posts: 21
london is an unknown at this point

london is offline
I am thinking about either getting a Mac Pro or an Opteron Workstation.

The Mac Pro is a powerful beast at a good price for a workstation. Iím thinking of getting the 2.6 GHz model.
Iím leaning towards the Mac Pro but I have a few concerns.
If any of you guys can help me with this, would be great.

1) First of all is the graphics. Can I SLI or cross fire the Mac Pro?

2) Am I limited to the graphics cards Apple offer? (A PC the 7900 and 7300 use the same driver, so can I use a 7900 in the Mac?)

3) I want to add a raid card I have 7 Hdds on my current rig. Where would I put them? 4 Drive bays are not enough. As I will be running Windows and Mac OSX on separate Hdds. Can I put the hard drives in the drive bays backwards and connect then to the PCI-E raid card?

4) I know a 2.6 GHz Xeon will now beat a 2.6 GHz opteron, for the most part. But I heard the Mac proís(intels) are still in the dark ages. Sharing the system RAM memory for both CPUís and not using separate memory and memory buses for each CPU. Is this True? (This is where Opterons have always killed intels hands down) Apples website does not say. Apples website also does not mention memory bandwidth speed, just cpu bandwidth speed. This makes me think this is true. Memory bandwidth is very important for what I do. I hope the Mac Pro Cpuís donít share the same memory.??

5) What kind of sound chip or card does the Mac Pro have? Is it any good for Pro sound production?

I really like the look of the Mac Pro. It looks like a great machine. Iím just concerned of some of the limitations. I really need the flexibility to add Hdds as I need and want to be able to use what graphics card I want.

Thatís all. Thanks for any help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

 
PowerBookG4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,190
PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

PowerBookG4 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by london
I am thinking about either getting a Mac Pro or an Opteron Workstation.

The Mac Pro is a powerful beast at a good price for a workstation. Iím thinking of getting the 2.6 GHz model.
Iím leaning towards the Mac Pro but I have a few concerns.
If any of you guys can help me with this, would be great.

1) First of all is the graphics. Can I SLI or cross fire the Mac Pro?

2) Am I limited to the graphics cards Apple offer? (A PC the 7900 and 7300 use the same driver, so can I use a 7900 in the Mac?)

3) I want to add a raid card I have 7 Hdds on my current rig. Where would I put them? 4 Drive bays are not enough. As I will be running Windows and Mac OSX on separate Hdds. Can I put the hard drives in the drive bays backwards and connect then to the PCI-E raid card?

4) I know a 2.6 GHz Xeon will now beat a 2.6 GHz opteron, for the most part. But I heard the Mac proís(intels) are still in the dark ages. Sharing the system RAM memory for both CPUís and not using separate memory and memory buses for each CPU. Is this True? (This is where Opterons have always killed intels hands down) Apples website does not say. Apples website also does not mention memory bandwidth speed, just cpu bandwidth speed. This makes me think this is true. Memory bandwidth is very important for what I do. I hope the Mac Pro Cpuís donít share the same memory.??

5) What kind of sound chip or card does the Mac Pro have? Is it any good for Pro sound production?

I really like the look of the Mac Pro. It looks like a great machine. Iím just concerned of some of the limitations. I really need the flexibility to add Hdds as I need and want to be able to use what graphics card I want.

Thatís all. Thanks for any help in advance.
cross posting is greatly frowned upon here, so is thread highjacking.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,560
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
So opening the mac pro and looking inside it comes with the hard drive brackets..
Yes, all the slides are there from the factory. Even the screws are there in the Optical tray for thd 2nd drive.

For those in doubt, here is the Manual straight from Apple.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...lDrive_DIY.pdf

Manual on Hard Drive Installation.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...lDrive_DIY.pdf

A list of DIY Manuals for the Mac Pro.

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/macpro_diy/
QUOTE Thanks
Marl Huss

 
Marl Huss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2006
Location: Thames Valley, UK
Posts: 143
Marl Huss will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

Marl Huss is offline
There are some articles on anandtech that explains all about the addition of new hard drives (as well as costs) and the types of Optical drives you can use now and in the future.

They seem to believe its quite future proof, as well as the possiblilty you might be able to put in a clovertown because of the cross compatibility with the current design (though doing so would be a lot of work and void your warrenty.)
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

 
Member Since: May 30, 2006
Posts: 205
asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

asolo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Yes, all the slides are there from the factory. Even the screws are there in the Optical tray for thd 2nd drive.

For those in doubt, here is the Manual straight from Apple.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...lDrive_DIY.pdf

Manual on Hard Drive Installation.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...lDrive_DIY.pdf

A list of DIY Manuals for the Mac Pro.

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/macpro_diy/

Great reply, Travis. Thanks for these sites/info. Feeling bad that I didn't find it for myself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« You can get Plaxo for mac! | Newbie needs help with media capabilities »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hardware support on Macs sekelsenmat Switcher Hangout 4 05-20-2006 11:28 PM
hardware test problem grm211 Apple Desktops 3 05-05-2006 01:45 PM
Hardware, zap2 init6 Switcher Hangout 1 02-15-2006 06:33 PM
Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel falltime Apple Rumors and Reports 180 06-07-2005 07:20 PM
Apple to benefit from improved hardware spending Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 0 09-24-2003 03:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?