New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

cooling my macbook...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raidair21

raidair21 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook

when i was considering making the switch, one of the concerns i had was from a video online of someone cooking an egg on the bottom of their mac(!!!). i talked to the people at apple, who explained that the macbook is a "portable" and not a "laptop" meaning that the cooling system is designed to work on a desk/table/something flat i.e. not my legs. but anyway, right now i am using it as a "laptop" and i have to admit it is pretty hot. i thought i had read (not on this forum) about slowing the OS speed or something or other, so as to make it not so hot on the under side. any way to make it cool better? i may just end up getting one of those little portable table thingys that you can put on your lap to act as a desk.
QUOTE Thanks
Jux06

Jux06 is on a distinguished road

i have a little two fan cooling pad thing made by targus. gets power from an usb port doesnt work fantastic keeping your laptop cool but hey it helps a lot keeping your lap cool and it was only $10.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

IT GETS HOT.

i would be lying saying otherwise. HOT.

targus had a fifty dollar fan thing that goes on the bottom, but i don't know.

take it in jest... you're cramming a 2 ghz processor in like a few sq. inches of space. this MacBook of mine has JUICE. so its a trade off.

i put a magazine between my lap and the MacBook. its free and it works.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidair21
... i thought i had read (not on this forum) about slowing the OS speed or something or other, so as to make it not so hot on the under side...
I believe what you are referring to is the processor performance option:

Open System Preferences and go to the "Energy Saver" pane. Choose the "Options" tab, and at the bottom you can set the processor performance, either Automatic, Highest, or Reduced. I'm not sure this is on the new Macs, but it is on my G5.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Take a bowl of ice water. Submerse "Portable" in ice water.

Or just buy a "Laptop".

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

thats mean yogi.

i realize its a "portable" and not a "lap top" , but people have expectations, as i did.

you eventually realize that "wow, i've got as much juice as my PC has bawled up into an inch thick, 13.3 screened book."

the heat will take you off guard at first, its totally legitimate.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_msu
thats mean yogi.

i realize its a "portable" and not a "lap top" , but people have expectations, as i did.

you eventually realize that "wow, i've got as much juice as my PC has bawled up into an inch thick, 13.3 screened book."

the heat will take you off guard at first, its totally legitimate.
When shopping, I noticed MacBook Pros in the Apple Store all had hot-spots that were REALLY hot. I don't know if that's normal spec. or not but IMHO that kind of heat is never good. One reason I chose iMac over MacBook Pro -- I don't trust that kind of heat.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

My mpb is saving me a fortune in heating now its come a little cooler here in the UK.

Central Heating 4k or mbp - 1.5k - its portable so you can also be good to the environment by not heating rooms that are unecessary....

Great little heat machine lol..

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

lionel will become famous soon enough

You might want to try this...

ATTN: Macbook SMC Firmware update!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
Take a bowl of ice water. Submerse "Portable" in ice water.

Or just buy a "Laptop".
Or just get a "notebook" computer. :black:
It is a notebook or portable computer.
"Laptop" is a misnomer and even Apple acknowledges that such a computer should not be used on a lap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn.
Also, in response to anyone who thinks they run "too hot":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Apple portable computers comply with temperature limits set in national and international safety standards when used in accordance with the instructions in the user guide. Instructions include the advice not to place the computer on your lap for extended periods.
Reference link

Harsh as it may seem, ANY notebook computer will get hot. It is an inherent factor in the design of such a computer. That being said, if you want to cool it then I would suggest getting some device that is intended on keeping it away from your body if you plan on using it somewhere that a table or desk is not available.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
v3GTP

v3GTP is on a distinguished road

Run your "update software" in your apple menu they released a firmwear update for the fan controls today. (8/18/06) Not sure exactly what changes were made but it sure couldn't hurt.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I didn't mean to be mean. I was just having a tragic comic moment there about Apple not having cool enough computers... even after the intel switch. Well whatdyaknow.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3GTP
Run your "update software" in your apple menu they released a firmwear update for the fan controls today. (8/18/06) Not sure exactly what changes were made but it sure couldn't hurt.
After talking to my friend, he said his macbook runs noticeably cooler after the firmware update.
QUOTE Thanks
lionel

lionel will become famous soon enough

Didn't anyone see my post o.O

Anyway, notebook/laptop/whatever they'll all run warm to an extent, anything with energy moving through it will produce wasted energy in some form and in something as complex as a portable computer there's no exception. o_
QUOTE Thanks
london

london is an unknown at this point

I have a Black MacBook and it moos and whines.
and it gets friggen really hot. Its a poor design if you ask me.
Yes its fast, beautiful and sexy. But its heavy and It will stop me from having children its so hot.
What I want to know is why the PC Latops that use the same CPU are no where near as hot or as heavy?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Questions | You can get Plaxo for mac! »