New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about Formatting Mac's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacWill

MacWill is an unknown at this point

Alright, so I bought a MBP 5-6 weeks ago and loved it until the last week or two.

Well, I recently started getting programs taking a long, long time to load such as 25-30 bounces for simple progams that never used to take that long.

Then, I started getting Kernal messages (Saying I must restart in 4 languages).

So, I called up Apple and they went through the Disk Utility Procedures and it found some errors and yet my computer still gives me some Kernal errors.

So, the Apple guy recommend I do a Archieve/Install. He said if that doesn't work....do a complete format and erase everything. If that doesn't work, send it in and they will fix whatever part is broken.

Here is my question.

If I have to format my Mac, is it really as simple as putting in the Restore Disk and choosing to reinstall the CD? I know it has an option menu that allows me to erase/install or Archieve/Install....but if I choose to erase/install...will it literally install the computer to where it was when I got the Mac?

I guess I am used to Windows machines where things would be missing left and right on reinstallations of windows.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Will
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Yep its as simple as that

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

If you Archive and Install from the CD, then you will wipe the hard drive, but ALL of your old files (music, movies, apps, etc.) will be moved to a folder onto your desktop. If you Erase and Install, your machine goes back to factory settings. I suggest you back up your important data to CD, DVD, or preferrably an external Hard Drive then Erase and Install. If you don't want your data to be recoverable, you can zero out your drive in a 0s, 7s, or 35s options, but zeroing out takes quite a while and a little bit of patience.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have nothing that I 100% had to keep so I whiped it out completely.

I think some of the things I downloaded are the reasons for the Kernel errors.
QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

Update

I just got my Mac back and up and it really is running fantastic.

Only problem is that IPhoto's update will not download because

The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by “Apple”.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWill
Update

I just got my Mac back and up and it really is running fantastic.

Only problem is that IPhoto's update will not download because

The digital signature for this package is incorrect. The package may have been tampered with or corrupted since being signed by “Apple”.
Have you done all of the OS X updates first? Sometimes the installers will give those error messages if the OS isn't up to the point required for it to be installed

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

I have...I even rebooted several times after that...

I did a google search and came up with people telling me to try and upate it single handidly with it and I tried that but still nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

put the install disc back in and 'repair programs'

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dell M90 or 17 inch MacbookPro? | Open Letter to Apple »