New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Quick question about joining HDs...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Okay, here's what I want to do:

I have my Intel iMac 17" with a 160 GB internal HD. I also have a Maxtor 100 GB external USB drive. Is there any way to join them so that I get 260 GB of free space in my Macintosh HD? I've heard of RAID (other than that it stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, that's all I know from Wikipedia), and not sure what the heck it is or if it has anything to do with this, but I was thinking about RAID.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

RAID is used mainly for fault tolerance. It's true that when you make a RAID (their are several, RAID 0, 1, and 5 being the most popular) depending on the one you choose expands the capacity but it also uses space as well. For example for a RAID 5, which is the most fault tolerant) you need at least 3 HDD. If they were all 500GB HDD's you would have a total of 1.5TB. However you lose one whole drive for fault tolerance in case one dies giving you only 1TB of info.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

Okay, that's cool... but my question is could I use RAID to join together my iMac's internal 160GB HD and an external USB 100 GB HD so I have 260 GB available in my Macintosh HD (open finder and look on the bottom)... I more or less want to mold them into a single drive, similar to how a Mac Pro can have up to four drives of 500 GB.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I don't believe there is a way to do this with an internal drive and an external drive.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
Okay, that's cool... but my question is could I use RAID to join together my iMac's internal 160GB HD and an external USB 100 GB HD so I have 260 GB available in my Macintosh HD (open finder and look on the bottom)... I more or less want to mold them into a single drive, similar to how a Mac Pro can have up to four drives of 500 GB.
My understanding with PC is that any/all RAID configurations are dependent upon the mother-board being set up to accomodate them. Can't just RAID a couple of drives into a machine without that support. Have little doubt Apple's situation is the same but willing to be enlightened.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo
My understanding with PC is that any/all RAID configurations are dependent upon the mother-board being set up to accomodate them. Can't just RAID a couple of drives into a machine without that support. Have little doubt Apple's situation is the same but willing to be enlightened.
It does not need to be the motherboard per sey, but it does have to be a board. You can buy a RAID card that goes in the pci express slot in the newer powremac quads, or the new mac pros.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

With Disk Utility you can create a RAID, and as far as I know you can even do that with external drives.

But actually, in your case that's not a good idea...

If you want to combine 2 disks to have one big volume, you need RAID level 0. But that means that, if you remove the external drive, you can't use your computer, nor can you use the external drive elsewhere. This is because the data (in this case it includes the system) is spread over the 2 disks, and one cannot work without the other.
Building a RAID with 2 differently sized drives means you will loose space, as it will take the smallest size and use it for all disks. In your case, that means instead of getting 260GB, you'll get only 200GB, the rest being unusable.
And also, you would need an additional drive to backup your data, because in a RAID 0 setup, if one drive dies, there's no way to get back any data from the rest of the drives.

So mainly, I would suggest you keep it the way it is.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
With Disk Utility you can create a RAID, and as far as I know you can even do that with external drives.

If you want to combine 2 disks to have one big volume, you need RAID level 0. But that means that, if you remove the external drive, you can't use your computer, nor can you use the external drive elsewhere. This is because the data (in this case it includes the system) is spread over the 2 disks, and one cannot work without the other.
Building a RAID with 2 differently sized drives means you will loose space, as it will take the smallest size and use it for all disks. In your case, that means instead of getting 260GB, you'll get only 200GB, the rest being unusable.
And also, you would need an additional drive to backup your data, because in a RAID 0 setup, if one drive dies, there's no way to get back any data from the rest of the drives.

Okay, you answered my question VERY thoroughly Avalon! Rep points for you. Thank you so much.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Loading programs | High availability clustering? »