New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A note to all new switchers/potential switchers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

After going through the torturous wait from ordering my Macbook and having it shipped to me, I was astonished witht the production quality of the machine i had purchased. However, this would not last long...the influence of these message boards and all of the problems I had read with the Macbooks had tainted me. I wish I had not heard any of it at all, becuase it lead me to creating so many points of anguish.

"Is my battery as strong as it should be?" So i natrually downloaded CoconutBattery 2.5 Beta or whatever. This was my first primary mistake. This thing is in no way reliable and only causes a new Macbook owner dispair. I calibrated my battery to the T as per directions in the owners manual and the morning after said calibration my battery was at 95%. Within 2 days however my battery capacity was back up to 99% and then 101%. This is just a bogus self diagnostic tool with errors which cause you to panic and fret that your machine is not perfect.

"My macbook is hot" Under normal circumstances I would never have thought my macbook overly hot, but because I had read that temperature was an issue, I subconciously made it an issue. I agree it is important to be aware of a possible defect in your machine but lets not go overboard. If you are using your computer on your lap and it becomes too hot, think of a few things. Try to turn off Airport and Bluetooth when not using it. Turn the screen brightness down. Stop running unneccessary apps. Place a hard surface between your lap and the macbook to allow for proper ventilation. There are a few steps you can take before you need to fret that your machine will burn itsself down.

"Do I have enough Ram?" If 512 works for you then that is enough ram. If 2 GB works for you then that is enough Ram. Regardless of how much ram you have opening an application will not be INSTANTANEOUS. Do not worry if people say that you will not be able to run Leopard without 1 GB of ram. Wait for leopard, if the machine feels slow, upgrade at that point.

Hopefully new switchers will realize that many of the problems they find with their machine are simply things they have heard from message boards or rumors and exagerated in their heads. Chances are your machine works just fine, and is nothing out of the ordinary. So please, just be careful with self diagnostic type programs and mind sets...because they can be dangerous things.

That being said: Enjoy your Apple products, they certainly are great :headphone

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

Eek...uhh 35 views and 0 replies. I guess a mod can close this thread...

QUOTE Thanks
digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Honestly people blow things way out of purportion. When things get posted on online message boards thousands of people read about them and then supposedly every MacBook is having the same problem. If the problem was sooooo common then all MacBooks would have been recalled. I actually read recently that the number of problematic machines was actually like .89%.

Also I wouldnt put any laptop on my lap nowadays. I like having plenty of sperm for special occasions. ;]

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I read it and left you posative rep. I didn't see a need to respond....

I notice your one pip is now green......

QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

well i am glad you guys agree!

QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikBhat
After going through the torturous wait from ordering my Macbook and having it shipped to me, I was astonished witht the production quality of the machine i had purchased. However, this would not last long...the influence of these message boards and all of the problems I had read with the Macbooks had tainted me. I wish I had not heard any of it at all, becuase it lead me to creating so many points of anguish.

"Is my battery as strong as it should be?" So i natrually downloaded CoconutBattery 2.5 Beta or whatever. This was my first primary mistake. This thing is in no way reliable and only causes a new Macbook owner dispair. I calibrated my battery to the T as per directions in the owners manual and the morning after said calibration my battery was at 95%. Within 2 days however my battery capacity was back up to 99% and then 101%. This is just a bogus self diagnostic tool with errors which cause you to panic and fret that your machine is not perfect.

"My macbook is hot" Under normal circumstances I would never have thought my macbook overly hot, but because I had read that temperature was an issue, I subconciously made it an issue. I agree it is important to be aware of a possible defect in your machine but lets not go overboard. If you are using your computer on your lap and it becomes too hot, think of a few things. Try to turn off Airport and Bluetooth when not using it. Turn the screen brightness down. Stop running unneccessary apps. Place a hard surface between your lap and the macbook to allow for proper ventilation. There are a few steps you can take before you need to fret that your machine will burn itsself down.

"Do I have enough Ram?" If 512 works for you then that is enough ram. If 2 GB works for you then that is enough Ram. Regardless of how much ram you have opening an application will not be INSTANTANEOUS. Do not worry if people say that you will not be able to run Leopard without 1 GB of ram. Wait for leopard, if the machine feels slow, upgrade at that point.

Hopefully new switchers will realize that many of the problems they find with their machine are simply things they have heard from message boards or rumors and exagerated in their heads. Chances are your machine works just fine, and is nothing out of the ordinary. So please, just be careful with self diagnostic type programs and mind sets...because they can be dangerous things.

That being said: Enjoy your Apple products, they certainly are great :headphone

Wow, I respect your opinion. That's a pretty powerful post, I'll say.

I'm not going to tell you about how Apple is so much better than the land of Microsoft, because it's not all true, and I'd be a fanboy, which I am not. It's a shame to hear, though, that you are having problems with your macbook. Did you try taking it to an apple store or sending it in to apple to have them take a look at it?

But definately a positive rep for you because you spoke your opinion, and did it in a manner that did not trash anyone else, Apple, or this forum.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
Wow, I respect your opinion. That's a pretty powerful post, I'll say.

I'm not going to tell you about how Apple is so much better than the land of Microsoft, because it's not all true, and I'd be a fanboy, which I am not. It's a shame to hear, though, that you are having problems with your macbook. Did you try taking it to an apple store or sending it in to apple to have them take a look at it?

But definately a positive rep for you because you spoke your opinion, and did it in a manner that did not trash anyone else, Apple, or this forum.

Actually my Macbook has run perfectly (knock on wood...). I went through the battery scare and temperature scare but after extracting myself from these message boards for a few days i realized that I was totally overreacting. Chances are many other people have done the same.

QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Well, macbooks do tend to run hot, I read somewhere about a test, and it was on average about 10 degrees hotter than a dell lattitude with the same specs, and both were running a movie.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i dont know what to say so i am posting anyway!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
i dont know what to say so i am posting anyway!
-chris
I think most people feel the same way?

QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikBhat
I think most people feel the same way?
it has been a long day, it is a very informative post though, i left you user rep for it as well
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

MacWill is an unknown at this point

I think some just have this notion that their Mac will be the "perfect" computer and are shocked when it may freeze a bit, may get hot, or may not run the perfect way they thought it would

I thought that 2 months ago to be honest. I knew nothing about Macs but had read the hype about them.

I love mine honestly BUT I do have some complaints BUT I think my complaints are small compared to my Windows laptop
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWill
I think some just have this notion that their Mac will be the "perfect" computer and are shocked when it may freeze a bit, may get hot, or may not run the perfect way they thought it would

I thought that 2 months ago to be honest. I knew nothing about Macs but had read the hype about them.

I love mine honestly BUT I do have some complaints BUT I think my complaints are small compared to my Windows laptop

Exactly. No machine is perfect. If you expect this you will be sorely let down, no matter who makes the product. That is exactly what my post is trying to convey.

QUOTE Thanks
eugy

eugy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook | iPod

well put :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Katie

exactly! no machines are perfect, but we like to think and do whatever we can to make them as close as possible to it. I appreciated your post and enjoyed it! from reading all of the "downsides" and "negative" threads about the MBPs and MacBooks, I've just taken very good notes as to what I need to do in the future to avoid certain problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Desktop? | Switcher Article in Today's Times »