New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Syncing .mac Address Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acoleman

acoleman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro, 1GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, 60GB Black Video iPod

Hey All,

I just bought my first Mac (Macbook Pro) a few days ago and I have a question:

How do I sync the addresses I have entered in the online .mac address book with my home address book on the macbook pro itself?

I entered all of my addresses online (at my windows-running workplace) and when I got home I followed the directions on Apple's website, however my home address book remains empty, even after syncing.

Am I missing something here? I followed the directions verbatim. Does the sync only work from mac to online .mac or can I sync from the web to my laptop?

Thank you for any help!

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Andrew,
welcome! First thing I'd check is the System Preferences. *** that light switch in the dock***

Check the .Mac section and go in and put in your .Mac user name and password. Give it a minute to sync up then go into the tabs and make sure the addy book is checked. Once that's done go ahead and resync.

Problem solved!
Bishop
QUOTE Thanks
OneWorld22

OneWorld22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram

Do people think the .Mac accounts are essential for MAc users? I sigened up for the trial after getting my new system and have a nice new mac e-mail address!

But I have my own url and stuff and one Mac so no need to sync with other machines
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Well, i tell people that for the criticals, its a great back up service. I think they give you like a gig of disk space and Backup is free. I would say its essential. If anything ever goes wonky with your setup and you dont have an external drive, this is the next best thing. Uploading to it in an emergency would suck, but its there. Added to the fact that you have access to it anywhere.

It just depends on your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
acoleman

acoleman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro, 1GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, 60GB Black Video iPod

thank you for the tip. worked like a charm. any other cool tips you'd like to share with a mac noob feel free, i'm loving it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boot camp question... | Booting from an external HD? »