Lightbulb I am *so* switched!
    I started working on Dec PDP-11 computers, then Dec Vax's, then Sun-1's, 2's, 3's, and sparcStations. I move to NT 3.51 desktops when I started my company and installed Linux servers pretty early on. We then went through NT-4, Windows 2000, then XP Pro. We always used Cygwin and bought exceed Xservers. The linux servers have been fine, but windows has become more of a problem every year. This year our network got hit with MSBLAST and we lost a couple of important disks in the restore process. Now adware is infecting machines and the virus protection software can't seem to stop it.

I spent some time thinking about this problem over Xmas ... and realized ... Mac OS X == NextStep = Unix + Desktop! And it has great bundled software (Xserver, Java, Obj-C, Xcode, gcc, gdb, etc)! and it's $1700 for a G5 desktop! I just hadn't thought about it. Mac isn't a toy PC anymore, it's a real computer!

I've had my new G5 desktop for 4 days. I'm on the network, have easy access to the servers, a great desktop, I'm learning to use Obj-C with Xcode, and have had *no* problems at all.

I am *so* switched. Spread the word.

P.S. Thanks, Steve!

oooook, me too, lol

Don't understand half of what you're doing, but congrats anyway :-)

i second that, lol

Gotta love the pretty UNIX!

I've had my 12" Power Book G4 since dec. 03, and it's rockin'....I know what ya mean man.

Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Yup... I certainly do... Check out the old.

Congrats and the real world :-)

Miami FL
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Congratz!! I feel the same way! I mean it's such a huge relief to not have to tip toe about the internet and worry about e-mail attachments! And the freedom of running a personal desktop that needs no stinking virus scanner and third party firewall :p Oh, by the way, I was considering posting about system maintenence, and then I read your post - I guess you got that covered

Thread Information