New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Thoughts for switchers and gamers/ must read advice for buying a new notebook!

Thread Closed

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Yes, that was my original question. As I said, for some reason I was under the assumption, incorrectly, that OSX would not see the Windows partition.
When I first installed BootCamp on the Core Duo Mini I was suprised to see the XP partition on the desktop when booting back into OSX. Since OSX can read NTFS I guess I should have not been suprised though, but I was. Maybe the shock of knowing XP was on my Mac! :spook:
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Now you have raised another question. Why did you choose NTFS over FAT32 for the Windows partition? The OP in this thread reccomended FAT32.

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Now you have raised another question. Why did you choose NTFS over FAT32 for the Windows partition? The OP in this thread reccomended FAT32.

Simple, I really do not intend to use windows on the Mac. I just wanted to try out bootcamp and also see how the Core Duo performed in XP. I always use NTFS for my XP installs. If I were going to keep the XP install on there I might have used FAT32 so I can write from OSX to XP. I also did the bootcamp thing so I could help others here if they had problems.
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Well, firstly the Macbook wont run the games very well at all. You HAVE to get the Macbook Pro. The difference is the video RAM. The Macbooks only have like 32mb of shared video ram. The MBP has at least 128mb of VRAM. I think the new ones have 256. But once you have that, games run great. I run Battlefield 2 with no problems. ( I honestly dont have time to do much else )
You say you know alot but this is wrong. it is not the VRAM.

MacBook - Integrated graphics - shares system ram, slow for core and memory speeds - not meant for gaming of newer games.

MacBook pro - Seperate AGP / PCIe based video card with decidated ram - faster core and memory speeds.

a dedicated video card with 32mb of ram would be faster then an integrated vid card with 128mb of ram.

NTFS is more secure and reliable then FAT32, and you can also make larger partitions. FAt32 also has a file limit size of 4G, so if you plan to rip a DVD - you cant on FAT32.
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Simple, I really do not intend to use windows on the Mac. I just wanted to try out bootcamp and also see how the Core Duo performed in XP. I always use NTFS for my XP installs. If I were going to keep the XP install on there I might have used FAT32 so I can write from OSX to XP. I also did the bootcamp thing so I could help others here if they had problems.
Oh, that makes sense. So did you delete Windows or do you still have it installed?

dtravis7

Quote:
Oh, that makes sense. So did you delete Windows or do you still have it installed?
I am planning on deleting it as I don't need it. Just have not gotten around to it. It's only a 5GB partition anyway so not in the way right now. I really got the Core Duo mini to use as a PVR in my front room system. No need for windows there.
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Applenator
I'm guessing you now own a 15" MBPro. Do you have the one with the 256 vram or the 128? I plan on playing BF2 as well, and I am looking at getting that MBPro as well, I am just curious what your actual setup is?
And absolutely love BF2.
Ive got the original 1.83ghz 15" with 128mb of vram. Works great. You just need to tweak BF2 a bit. Nothing huge or geeky or anything, just go into the options and test the different settings. Me, I have mine on medium and it runs great.
bishopazrael

Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiau
You say you know alot but this is wrong. it is not the VRAM.

MacBook - Integrated graphics - shares system ram, slow for core and memory speeds - not meant for gaming of newer games.

MacBook pro - Seperate AGP / PCIe based video card with decidated ram - faster core and memory speeds.

a dedicated video card with 32mb of ram would be faster then an integrated vid card with 128mb of ram.

NTFS is more secure and reliable then FAT32, and you can also make larger partitions. FAt32 also has a file limit size of 4G, so if you plan to rip a DVD - you cant on FAT32.
So what exactly did I get wrong? Your post backs me up. The macbook has slower graphics. Its not good for hardcore gaming like bf2/ halflife / crysis/ etc...

Macbook Pro, at least 128 of ram and it DOES run games well as I've tested them.

Wow, next time when I want to keep my typing time down I'll be sure to put in every single little detail that the average person wont need to know. Key word is average. All most people need to know is that if you want the graphics power, go with the MBP. Thats what that paragraph was trying to illustrate. I thought I did fairly well, but since I didnt, I guess I'm wrong and you're right. neye:

:::holygod:::: try and give some advice..

Oh yeah... vram= video RAM. Sorry i didnt spell it out.
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
I chose NTFS over FAT32 for a couple reasons. I wanted to do a 50GB Windows partition and from what I've read I think the Windows installer can only format 32GB in FAT32. Also, I've read that NTFS is safer and has better performance than FAT32. I installed MacDrive in XP so that I can get files off of the OS X partition and I can write to it, but I have that turned off.
dtravis7

bishopazrael, I agreed with your origional post. The only thing you were wrong on is the memory size of the MacBooks Intel Graphics VRAM. This is straight from Apple.

Graphics and Video Support
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory.
bishopazrael

And here's my problem with people spouting off about NTFS.

Yeah yeah we all know its better. But I know something you guys dont. I've had to live with people asking why they cant drag a file from the Mac desktop to the windows folder of choice, and when explained that they put the drive in NTFS, they get all bent out of shape that someone should have said soemthing aobut that ahead of time!

I'm trying to give advice to people who probably dont know too much about windows, or know just enough to be dangerous. And guess what, they're ALL going to want FAT32. WHY? because they're going to want to write to that drive, sure as frack, and when they cant they'll come here and post and complain about it. If they know up front, then they'll put it in fat32 and be happy, future problems avoided.

I know... its against the PC Tech Ordinance 112.7 sub section b paragraph 2 line 1 that says "Thou shalt not confer upon mere mortals, any knowledge beforehand that could prevent them from having to call you later".

Im so sick of techs that let people walk into a problem only so THEY can solve it and look like the geek of the year.

Come on you guys, its common sense. Think 4 steps ahead and think, well what are they gonna want to do once they get windows installed? You solve that, and THEN you're doing a favor to your family/ friends/ neighbors/ customers who are switching over and using bootcamp. The fact that I have to chide you guys about this does not speak well of you guys. You should know better.
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
I chose NTFS over FAT32 for a couple reasons. I wanted to do a 50GB Windows partition and from what I've read I think the Windows installer can only format 32GB in FAT32. Also, I've read that NTFS is safer and has better performance than FAT32. I installed MacDrive in XP so that I can get files off of the OS X partition and I can write to it, but I have that turned off.

Ok, another question. I've never used bootcamp (yet). Can or will Bootcamp allow you to format the partition for Windows in FAT32? I am assuming from the OPs first post that it will, but I don't know.

dtravis7

Baggss, If I remember right (I have only done it once 2 months ago) Bootcamp makes the partition and when you run the XP installer, it always asks you either to format the partition or to change the formatting of the partition. I dont' remember if Bootcamp formatted it or not. I am pretty sure it was Windows. Then you would would hit that 32GB Fat32 partition limit imposed by XP. I will try it later and get back to you. Will give me an excuse to get rid of that windows install.

I have 2 AMD 64 systems for my windows needs.
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

yeah, as dtravis said, bootcamp just makes a partition. the windows installer does the formatting.
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopazrael

5. When doing the setup / install of XP it will ask you in the beginning if you want to format your xp drive. DO NOT. Leave the file system in tact. You want the FAT32 file system, so that the Mac can write to it if need be.
So my next question is for the OP, how did you format the partition? Did you allow Windows to do it?

Sorry if these questions are getting annoying, but I want to know what I am doing before I go into this process.

Thread Closed

« Viewing Internet Sites...not liking the switch | msn to adium »