Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bil2k
    Made the switch.. disappointed
    A little more than a month ago I made the switch to a 15" MacBook Pro coming from my Dell Inspiron 9300 (1.6ghz pent-m, 1gb ram, 256mb nvidia 6800 go, 7200rpm hdd). I'm sorely disappointed with the performance in Adobe CS2 Apps, Macromedia Studio, and Maya 7 due to the Rosetta translation.

I realize this isn't necessarily Apple's fault, but I do feel a bit cheated by the Apple store. I spent about an hour discussing all things Mac with the salesperson and digital media. Not once did she mention (who happens to be a designer as well) that the suite of programs would be way slower until a universal binary would be out next year.

I love my MacBook Pro and OS X compared to the Dell, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this rediculously slow performance in these apps. $2500 buys a lot of laptop and I just don't feel like I'm getting all of it at the moment.

zap2
    Rosetta is going to be slow but considering its emulation its pretty fast.. you probly want more RAM because 1Gb(i'm asuming you have 1Gb) is want one should have to use "Pro" apps like that WITHOUT emulation. With emulation i'll want as much as you can get(read 2GBs)

Wait it out for Adobe to get Universal Apps i'd i'm sure you'll be happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by bil2k
    A little more than a month ago I made the switch to a 15" MacBook Pro coming from my Dell Inspiron 9300 (1.6ghz pent-m, 1gb ram, 256mb nvidia 6800 go, 7200rpm hdd). I'm sorely disappointed with the performance in Adobe CS2 Apps, Macromedia Studio, and Maya 7 due to the Rosetta translation.

I realize this isn't necessarily Apple's fault, but I do feel a bit cheated by the Apple store. I spent about an hour discussing all things Mac with the salesperson and digital media. Not once did she mention (who happens to be a designer as well) that the suite of programs would be way slower until a universal binary would be out next year.

I love my MacBook Pro and OS X compared to the Dell, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this rediculously slow performance in these apps. $2500 buys a lot of laptop and I just don't feel like I'm getting all of it at the moment.

yep all the apps that run under Rosetta are going to lag a bit and sometimes more. you can get bootcamp or wait for the universal binaries.

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Rosetta apps will lag a bit, yes.

Being a professional though you should've done a bit more research than jsut rely on one source, being the mac guy at the store who gets 9$ an hour.
    He sells things. To him, the Apple computer has to be the ultimate product.

So you can blame yourself a bit there. I assume you knew about Rosetta before and about Universal binaries and about Intel.

If you are such a professional, you should've sort of known that emulation is going to be slower.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

bil2k
    Ultimately yes, I am to blame for not doing the research. I jumped in without looking back. At the time of purchase I was not even aware the intel core required special builds.

I guess I'll make the jump to 2GB. The HDD is dead quiet so I can't hear how hard it's paging, but no doubt it'll help.

PS. I'm not yet a professional.. 10 days until graduation

Quote Originally Posted by yogi
    Rosetta apps will lag a bit, yes.

Being a professional though you should've done a bit more research than jsut rely on one source, being the mac guy at the store who gets 9$ an hour.
    He sells things. To him, the Apple computer has to be the ultimate product.

So you can blame yourself a bit there. I assume you knew about Rosetta before and about Universal binaries and about Intel.

If you are such a professional, you should've sort of known that emulation is going to be slower.

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Well they say it's bad luck to congratulate before you have a certificate in hand, so I'll wait :-)
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    My reccomedation would be to shove as much RAM in theat MBP as you can. My wifes new 2Ghz Intel iMac has 1.5Gb of RAM and stuff running under Rosetta flys. She does not use Photoshop but MS Office and other things seem to zip right along. The more RAM the better, max it out if you can.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    My wifes Macbook had 512MB and I maxed it out at 2GB. Anything that runs with Rosetta is now pretty quick. Once the apps come out with universal binaries it will be a lot better. Waiting is the hard part

Specs:
    Ibook G4 OS X 10.3.9
    I'm gonna switch soon and as far as I read about MBP and intel duocore and native software, I understand that I better run photoshop under windows instead of OSX till the new photoshop version will come up...
    But I am a bit worried about the max Ram you can put in MBP (2GB) because I want a start to edit video on it, but those 2Gb will be enough?

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    2GB will be fine. How many PC laptops take more than 2GB RAM anyway?

Specs:
    15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
    Yeah, go to Newegg.com and get 2 1gb mem sticks and dump them in there. That'll help tons. Once you do that, you should notice a huge jump. I say newegg because they're cheaper by like $350. Apple charges like $500 for the 2gb mem...something like that.. and newegg is WAY cheaper.

Specs:
    2.0 macbook
    You could always get a copy of WindowsXp Home and run it via that!

bil2k
    I put the 2 gigs in Friday. It helped with Photoshop and Dreamweaver to some extent, but forget trying to use Maya under Rosetta without a huge productivity hit under ANY ammount of memory.

To be frank, the bottom line is until UBs come out for Adobe and Maya (if ever for Maya), it will suck *** on an Intel Mac in OS X.

..and yet I still love my MCP for all its innovation and os x... *sigh*

Specs:
    2.0 macbook
    Hey saw you website there looked nice! where do you live in orlando?
    (Im by south orlando,)

I have honestly not thought that the load time for those Apps is too, too terrible.

Loading Word is a pain in the....uh...nevermind

Thread Information