New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Made the switch.. disappointed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bil2k

A little more than a month ago I made the switch to a 15" MacBook Pro coming from my Dell Inspiron 9300 (1.6ghz pent-m, 1gb ram, 256mb nvidia 6800 go, 7200rpm hdd). I'm sorely disappointed with the performance in Adobe CS2 Apps, Macromedia Studio, and Maya 7 due to the Rosetta translation.

I realize this isn't necessarily Apple's fault, but I do feel a bit cheated by the Apple store. I spent about an hour discussing all things Mac with the salesperson and digital media. Not once did she mention (who happens to be a designer as well) that the suite of programs would be way slower until a universal binary would be out next year.

I love my MacBook Pro and OS X compared to the Dell, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this rediculously slow performance in these apps. $2500 buys a lot of laptop and I just don't feel like I'm getting all of it at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

Rosetta is going to be slow but considering its emulation its pretty fast.. you probly want more RAM because 1Gb(i'm asuming you have 1Gb) is want one should have to use "Pro" apps like that WITHOUT emulation. With emulation i'll want as much as you can get(read 2GBs)

Wait it out for Adobe to get Universal Apps i'd i'm sure you'll be happy with it
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil2k
A little more than a month ago I made the switch to a 15" MacBook Pro coming from my Dell Inspiron 9300 (1.6ghz pent-m, 1gb ram, 256mb nvidia 6800 go, 7200rpm hdd). I'm sorely disappointed with the performance in Adobe CS2 Apps, Macromedia Studio, and Maya 7 due to the Rosetta translation.

I realize this isn't necessarily Apple's fault, but I do feel a bit cheated by the Apple store. I spent about an hour discussing all things Mac with the salesperson and digital media. Not once did she mention (who happens to be a designer as well) that the suite of programs would be way slower until a universal binary would be out next year.

I love my MacBook Pro and OS X compared to the Dell, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this rediculously slow performance in these apps. $2500 buys a lot of laptop and I just don't feel like I'm getting all of it at the moment.

yep all the apps that run under Rosetta are going to lag a bit and sometimes more. you can get bootcamp or wait for the universal binaries.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Rosetta apps will lag a bit, yes.

Being a professional though you should've done a bit more research than jsut rely on one source, being the mac guy at the store who gets 9$ an hour.
He sells things. To him, the Apple computer has to be the ultimate product.

So you can blame yourself a bit there. I assume you knew about Rosetta before and about Universal binaries and about Intel.

If you are such a professional, you should've sort of known that emulation is going to be slower.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
bil2k

Ultimately yes, I am to blame for not doing the research. I jumped in without looking back. At the time of purchase I was not even aware the intel core required special builds.

I guess I'll make the jump to 2GB. The HDD is dead quiet so I can't hear how hard it's paging, but no doubt it'll help.

PS. I'm not yet a professional.. 10 days until graduation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
Rosetta apps will lag a bit, yes.

Being a professional though you should've done a bit more research than jsut rely on one source, being the mac guy at the store who gets 9$ an hour.
He sells things. To him, the Apple computer has to be the ultimate product.

So you can blame yourself a bit there. I assume you knew about Rosetta before and about Universal binaries and about Intel.

If you are such a professional, you should've sort of known that emulation is going to be slower.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Well they say it's bad luck to congratulate before you have a certificate in hand, so I'll wait :-)

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

My reccomedation would be to shove as much RAM in theat MBP as you can. My wifes new 2Ghz Intel iMac has 1.5Gb of RAM and stuff running under Rosetta flys. She does not use Photoshop but MS Office and other things seem to zip right along. The more RAM the better, max it out if you can.

QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

My wifes Macbook had 512MB and I maxed it out at 2GB. Anything that runs with Rosetta is now pretty quick. Once the apps come out with universal binaries it will be a lot better. Waiting is the hard part
QUOTE Thanks
dufferIn

dufferIn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 OS X 10.3.9

I'm gonna switch soon and as far as I read about MBP and intel duocore and native software, I understand that I better run photoshop under windows instead of OSX till the new photoshop version will come up...
But I am a bit worried about the max Ram you can put in MBP (2GB) because I want a start to edit video on it, but those 2Gb will be enough?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

2GB will be fine. How many PC laptops take more than 2GB RAM anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Yeah, go to Newegg.com and get 2 1gb mem sticks and dump them in there. That'll help tons. Once you do that, you should notice a huge jump. I say newegg because they're cheaper by like $350. Apple charges like $500 for the 2gb mem...something like that.. and newegg is WAY cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

You could always get a copy of WindowsXp Home and run it via that!

QUOTE Thanks
bil2k

I put the 2 gigs in Friday. It helped with Photoshop and Dreamweaver to some extent, but forget trying to use Maya under Rosetta without a huge productivity hit under ANY ammount of memory.

To be frank, the bottom line is until UBs come out for Adobe and Maya (if ever for Maya), it will suck *** on an Intel Mac in OS X.

..and yet I still love my MCP for all its innovation and os x... *sigh*
QUOTE Thanks
Techno Mutant

Techno Mutant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 macbook

Hey saw you website there looked nice! where do you live in orlando?
(Im by south orlando,)

QUOTE Thanks
MacWill

MacWill is an unknown at this point

I have honestly not thought that the load time for those Apps is too, too terrible.

Loading Word is a pain in the....uh...nevermind
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice at the Battery Inn... | Macbook memorey »