New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A couple of questions from a switcher newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dinalli

Dinalli is on a distinguished road

Okay Just got a macbook at the weekend, had it for 2 days now and can't quite figure a few things out.

If anyone can give me any hints then that would be great.

1) Ive downloaded firefox. When this is done i have a dng file, which i can install it from. Now as far as i can tell it installs it into a virtual drive on the desktop. I really want this to apear in my applications folder. I like to keep my desktop as uncluttered as possible.

2) How do i add stuff (eg firefox) to the bar at the bottom

3) When viewing files in Macintosh HD, esp pictures I would like to see them as a thumbnail.

Im slowing getting used to my new mac, and have realised the lack of my musical talent after playing with garageband for a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

1) You have to drag that file called 'Firefox' into you application folder. It's that simple.

2) When it is open, right click on it and click Keep In Dock, or just drag them in.

3) Click the icon that looks like thumbnails in the top of the window. (Should be 4 tiny boxes)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

1 - Open the "Virtual Drive" and drag the Firefox App to your Apps folder. It will copy. Then drag the "Virtual Drive" and the .dmg file to the trash and empty.

2 - You can simply drag and drop apps or entire folders to the Dock.

3 - There is a setting for this that I can't recall right now.

QUOTE Thanks
Dinalli

Dinalli is on a distinguished road

cool cheers i will try that.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

for thumbnails, go to the View menu and select Show View Options, or hit command + j. then select Show Icon Preview
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

man i am so jealous. my computer just left Suzhou China and I live in the States. This wait is KILLING ME!!
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikBhat
man i am so jealous. my computer just left Suzhou China and I live in the States. This wait is KILLING ME!!
My wife ordered an Ipod for me for Father's Day on behalf of my sons. It came from China directly and took only 3 days (and that was for the FREE shipping). It went from where ever in China to Fairbanks, Alaska, to Montanna or Missouri (dont' remember), to my local area...all via plane. Yet I ordered a Mac that came from California and it took the full 5 days. Funny how that works...

but, you may not be waiting as long as you would expect.
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350
My wife ordered an Ipod for me for Father's Day on behalf of my sons. It came from China directly and took only 3 days (and that was for the FREE shipping). It went from where ever in China to Fairbanks, Alaska, to Montanna or Missouri (dont' remember), to my local area...all via plane. Yet I ordered a Mac that came from California and it took the full 5 days. Funny how that works...

but, you may not be waiting as long as you would expect.

that is very encouraging!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

More on DMG files: http://www.kamu.ch/switch/index.php?page=art&artid=4

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Emal - I hope not stuped question! | New MacBook with a unknown issue. »