New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I Am Stunned. Simply Stunned.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Le Fumeur

Le Fumeur is on a distinguished road

Oh my God. I just had a divine Mac experience. Ok, I have this HP 6210 all in one printer. Well, you know the hassle of installing a printer with Windows, right? Find the drivers, special steps about when to turn it on or the whole processes is ruined, reboots, etc. Well, I just plugged the printer via USB for the first time into my iMac. I was then searching everywhere for how to install it. You know what? It just worked! Just like that! No installation, no driver setup, didn't matter if it was turned on! I plugged it in, and I can now use it! OH MY GOD! This is too good to be true!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

welcome to the mac

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
PumpkinLand

PumpkinLand is a jewel in the roughPumpkinLand is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Stuff

Lol, thats how Mac works. Unlike PCs.
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fumeur
You know what? It just worked! Just like that! No installation, no driver setup, didn't matter if it was turned on! I plugged it in, and I can now use it! OH MY GOD! This is too good to be true!
Same for me five weeks ago with one 2-year-old HP photo-printer and one six-year-old Brother laser. I thought pretty amazing after the MANY hassles I've had with PC doing the same thing.

Not 100%, though. Scanners, for example, typically take software to match with the computer. My 4-year-old HP ScanJet won't work with the iMac because HP does not have software to enable it to.
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I had the same experience with a Brother multi-function printer. Except I did get the drivers from Brother. When I launched the installer the OS warned me that I was about to install an older version. My reaction was "WTF?" After thinking about it for a second...I plugged it in...it just worked.

Now I did install the drivers for my HP photosmart printer just because of the extra goodies....
QUOTE Thanks
thjustintoo

Mine wont work and i cant figure out how to but my parent's works just fine when i plug it in so i can imagine how nice it would be for it to work.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjustintoo
Mine wont work and i cant figure out how to but my parent's works just fine when i plug it in so i can imagine how nice it would be for it to work.
What printer is it? We're here to help
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Mine works fine via USB, but not through wireless (it's attached to a XP based PC). It's a Canon IP4200- wish I could get it to work via wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

here's a link for the driver and the main page.

Make sure Printer Sharing is enabled on the PC
QUOTE Thanks
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy is on a distinguished road

does the scanner and everything work? I downloaded the application pack for my printer (hp all-in-one) because I didnt think all the functions would work , although I never tried.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fumeur
Oh my God. I just had a divine Mac experience. Ok, I have this HP 6210 all in one printer. Well, you know the hassle of installing a printer with Windows, right? Find the drivers, special steps about when to turn it on or the whole processes is ruined, reboots, etc. Well, I just plugged the printer via USB for the first time into my iMac. I was then searching everywhere for how to install it. You know what? It just worked! Just like that! No installation, no driver setup, didn't matter if it was turned on! I plugged it in, and I can now use it! OH MY GOD! This is too good to be true!
check this link:http://macosx.com/content/faq.php/q2...OS-X-1044.html
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

You guys rock- that worked and I am printing wirelessly (though I had to choose BJC-7000)- as long as it prints, I'm happy. For some reason the driver on the CD didn't work with this.

I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo
Thanks for the links- I've got the driver installed and it does print fine when connected via USB. I just wish I could print wirelessly. I can point to it on via smb but it never prints. If I use the stock driver, it doesn't let me choose anything other than locally connected.
guy in this thread had similar problems with your printer, see here
QUOTE Thanks
thjustintoo

Mine is a Lexmark X5270, i tried looking for some drivers but what i found im not sure if its what i needed, and then wasnt sure how to install it on the mac haha.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjustintoo
Mine is a Lexmark X5270, i tried looking for some drivers but what i found im not sure if its what i needed, and then wasnt sure how to install it on the mac haha.
here's the link.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newby needs some help | MacBook Airport Strength »