New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I go for it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mayo

I recently got a job, and my parents are going to give me a loan to get my first Mac (A 20 inch iMac!).

I'm having second thoughts about spending $2540.18 (Including tax) on a single item...
But then again, I desire to buy nothing, other than an iPod (whitch I can live without), and maybe a video game here and there (Not for the mac or PC)...

Any one think I should just blow 4 months of pay checks on this beastly computer?

Sorry if this is the wrong board.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

How in the **** of all things is your iMac costing that much? Boy, you don't need so much juice!

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo
I recently got a job, and my parents are going to give me a loan to get my first Mac (A 20 inch iMac!).

I'm having second thoughts about spending $2540.18 (Including tax) on a single item...
But then again, I desire to buy nothing, other than an iPod (whitch I can live without), and maybe a video game here and there (Not for the mac or PC)...

Any one think I should just blow 4 months of pay checks on this beastly computer?

Sorry if this is the wrong board.
Go for it! You will love it.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all

Why are you making the kid drown his dollar notes ?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yeah, that is mighty pricey for an iMac. I would tone things down a bit. Base model w/AppleCare should only cost a bit over $1800. No need to get all those bells and whistles right off the bat.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Rob

Psh, if you are going to buy a computer, go all out. I learned that the hard way.
QUOTE Thanks
mayo

Well, I do a good amount of 3D desiging, and graphics stuff.
And a lot of multitasking. (Which my Pee Cee can barly handle >.<)

And the $2540.18 is after 7% tax; with out tax, it's $2,374.00.
Unless Apple doesn't charge tax.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Well, I do a good amount of 3D desiging, and graphics stuff.
And a lot of multitasking. (Which my Pee Cee can barly handle >.<)

And the $2540.18 is after 7% tax; with out tax, it's $2,374.00.
Unless Apple doesn't charge tax.
Even so, you will find the base model 20" iMac is more than capable of those sorts of tasks. Don't get RAM from Apple, get it from third party and install it yourself, don't get the HD upgrade as you can always get an external down the line if you still need the space, the stock 128MB of VRAM is plenty for 3D designing and contrary to the popular beliefs...more VRAM is not going to make your 2D designing any 'better' or 'faster'.
Basically, you can lop off about $500 of that and still have a highly capable workhorse of a computer.
More bells and whistles does not always equate to "better".... no matter what anyone tells you. I have been using Macs for 20 years and I have done much more with much less. Up until January of this year, I was still using a 333Mhz G3 Lombard PowerBook with 512MB of RAM for heavy Photoshop and Illustrator work. You don't "need" all the accouterments added on to make your computer do what you think it should do. Sure, they are nice, but by no means are they necessary. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Even so, you will find the base model 20" iMac is more than capable of those sorts of tasks. Don't get RAM from Apple, get it from third party and install it yourself, don't get the HD upgrade as you can always get an external down the line if you still need the space, the stock 128MB of VRAM is plenty for 3D designing and contrary to the popular beliefs...more VRAM is not going to make your 2D designing any 'better' or 'faster'.
Basically, you can lop off about $500 of that and still have a highly capable workhorse of a computer.
More bells and whistles does not always equate to "better".... no matter what anyone tells you. I have been using Macs for 20 years and I have done much more with much less. Up until January of this year, I was still using a 333Mhz G3 Lombard PowerBook with 512MB of RAM for heavy Photoshop and Illustrator work. You don't "need" all the accouterments added on to make your computer do what you think it should do. Sure, they are nice, but by no means are they necessary. :black:
OK, you've convinced me to downgrade my HDD & RAM, but I'm keeping the 256 MB VRAM!

And for RAM, which should I get, the 1 GB stick, or just the 512 MB stick?
Also, can I replace the internal HDD with a bigger one later on?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
OK, you've convinced me to downgrade my HDD & RAM, but I'm keeping the 256 MB VRAM!

And for RAM, which should I get, the 1 GB stick, or just the 512 MB stick?
Also, can I replace the internal HDD with a bigger one later on?
When I bought my iMac I bought it with 1GB and bought another 1GB stick. You might save a little more money if you buy it with 512MB and buy 2gb elsewhere, but it's up to you. As for replacing the internal HDD, it's technically possible but it will certainly void any warranty you have and it's not very easy to get in there. The only user-serviceable item on the iMac is the RAM
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

Don't you qualify for student discount?

I got my 20" iMac 250GB HD ans 128 VRAM for 2'200 Swiss francs (1760$) totally.
Check my Specs. I installed my own RA additional to the stock 512MB.

If you are so professional that you'll need a 256 MG VRAM, then you should also get a PowerMac.

With these specs:

250GB HD
256MB VRAM
512 MB RAM
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
AppleCare
Student Discount

the iMac costs just $1840.
Go figure.

QUOTE Thanks
dr4cula

dr4cula is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 1.9 GHz 17"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
How in the **** of all things is your iMac costing that much? Boy, you don't need so much juice!
My iMac G5 17" was 1814.15 USD and I the 1gig ram I bought cost me 241.8 USD. So 2056.03 USD if I calculated it the right way. Macs in Estonia cost way more than they do in other places ...
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Yeah if you are going to do 3D and graphics stuff go ahead and max it out. But how did you get $2540.18. And as yogi said don't you qualify for a student discount?
QUOTE Thanks
fliP

I say get whatever you want. I just ordered a loaded 15.4" MacBook Pro. My first Mac but I wanted all the options, not really that much except for Ram and HD speed.
QUOTE Thanks
bil2k

Be careful when switching. You should be aware that Adobe CS2, Macromedia Studio, and the majority of 3D apps (Cinema 4D aside) will be slow because there are no universal binary builds as of yet. No one warned me so I'm just giving you a heads up since you mentioned you'd be doing that stuff.

Other than that, Apple has some great stuff going on with them Macs..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Thunderbird Email Subfolders | New iMac, new question »