New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Pro Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac_Attack

Mac_Attack is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to these forums, only made a couple posts, and I have been looking into getting a Macbook Pro for some time. I have always used PC's throughout my life and always wanted a Mac, and really liked the innovative software that they have. The main reason I never bought one was b/c I played a lot of games and had lots of of important software that could only run on windows.
Anyways I am wondering two things about the Macbook Pro. I am looking at getting the 2.0 GHZ with the 128mb X1600pro and I was also looking into the 2.16 GHZ with the 256 mb X1600pro.

What I am wondering is if there would be much of a performance difference with the extra 128 mb of ram on the video card in terms of graphics and gaming in windows(Boot camp of course) and if it is worth the $600 price difference. I know the faster processor would make a difference as well but I am more concerned about the memory on the video card

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

I think if you're doing highspeed gaming, it will. What games are you considering

BTW nice name!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Attack

Ha ha thanks, you too!
I am looking at playing all types of games, Doom 3, Quake 4, Half life 2, warcraft 3, Oblivion, Rise of Legends. I know that the x1600 is only a midrange card but I figure it will get my by. it is too bad that Apple didn't put a better video card in the Macbook Pro's but traditionally Most Mac users wouldn't do a lot of intensive gaming I guess. ( Not trying to offend anyone with that comment)
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Well actually Mac Users like graphics, since much graphic design is done on macs (including prodcution of most Pixar movies... wonder why ).

I would recommend youg et the better video card, for your use it'll be worth it. Apple has it's weird policies on graphics anyway because GPU's are simply expensive and shoot prices up. That's why the Mac mini's have Integrated Intel Graphics.

For gaming, I'm waiting for a Nintendo Wii :-) .

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i would say if you can afford it max out at the time. that way it will last you longer.
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I went with the 256 megs of video ram in my MacBook Pro specifically because I was going to use it to play games. Of the games you listeed, I have Half Life 2, warcraft 3 and Oblivion all installed and graphics turned up to high and they run better then they do on my PC.

The price difference also includes a larger hard drive and more ram. If you configure the 128 modle with the more ram and lagerger hard drive the price difference is only $200 with the only difference being the video card making it more reasonable.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Attack

Yeah,
I just wish that there was a way to upgrade just the graphics card and pay a little extra just for that I might just pay the extra $600 and get the next model. I will be waiting unti the end of august, or early semptember to see what is mentioned during the apple expo in August. Then I will judge and see if it is worth waiting a little longer or just go buy it now and get the student discount and the free iPod
I am always amazed on how Mac's were amazing in photoshop, video and graphic editing with somewhat simple specs yet it would require a really beefy PC to get the same amount of work done. That is definatly something I am looking forward to.
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough

Also, you're probably going to want the bigger hard drive as your going to have 2 operating systems and some of thoes games can get pretty big. My Oblivion install takes up just under 5 gigs by itself. I'm already out of room on my windows partition and only have 20 gigs left on my Mac one and that's with the 100Gig drive. So if your going to have a bunch of games installed, I would say the larger drive is a must also, which, again, makes the price difference seem more reasonable.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Attack

Yeah, it is probably worth it in the end, and if I am spending so much on a laptop what is an extra couple hundred I guess. Did oyu go with the 7,200 RPM Hard drive?
Did anyone go with the apple care warranty? I am wondering if it is worth the extra $300.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

I got the 5400 rpm drive and I did get apple care. I've had warranties like that work out very well in the past so I would say it's worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

im not a big gamer so i cant same much in that field with the graphics card. i would definetly get the biggest hard drive you can afford since your gonna run windows. and applecare is worth it. if your getting a $3000 computer than its absoulutly worth 300 to insure it. i have it for my computer and my ipod. so far my computers been fine but i dropped my ipod in water (let it dry out) and they gave me a new one!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAM Recognition? | windows formatted iPod wont work on mac? »