New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to disable spellcheck system-wide?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Spellcheck bugs me; anyone know how to disable it throughout the system? You can disable it in individual applications by right-clicking a text area and then unchecking "Check Spelling as you Type" in the Spelling menu. I use a lot of computer terminology when I type and the spellchecker doesn't understand the majority of it, so I get the annoying red underlines.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

is this a question or a solution? the best way for it to not bug you is learn from your mistakes and learn how to spell and punctuate properly.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The spell checker in TextEdit , for instance, drove me nuts until I discovered I could change the default dictionary to Canadian English. Doing so ended the irritating red lines under correctly spelled words.

If the wrong dictionary is the problem and continuing with TextEdit, since it's common on both our machines right-click on a word in a TextEdit document and choose Spelling, then in the submenu choose Spelling again. You can change the dictionary at the bottom-left.

I also found Canadian English within the International preferences in the Mac's system preferences. By choosing Edit List, I deselected English, then by scrolling down found and chose Canadian English.

That doesn't change anything in the Mac's dictionary, though. It still says that "colour" is the British spelling, rather than pointing out that "color" is correct in only one of at least 41 English-speaking countries.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
is this a question or a solution? the best way for it to not bug you is learn from your mistakes and learn how to spell and punctuate properly.
-chris
This is a question I just updated the first post to clarify my question. The stuff in parenthesis refers to the option I'm talking about. The best way for it not to bug me is to turn it off; I often make little notes in Stickies or TextEdit with computer terminology that the spellchecker doesn't understand, so my notes are filled with the red underlines. It bugs me

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

You can turn TextEdit's spell check off as its default setting in TextEdit's preferences (then quit TextEdit and restart it). You can then turn it on for individual documents by choosing Spelling under Edit.

Stickies doesn't have any preferences. All I could do was to turn off the spell check each time I started the app (by going to Spelling under Edit).
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

ekologik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
I also found Canadian English within the International preferences in the Mac's system preferences. By choosing Edit List, I deselected English, then by scrolling down found and chose Canadian English.

That doesn't change anything in the Mac's dictionary, though. It still says that "colour" is the British spelling, rather than pointing out that "color" is correct in only one of at least 41 English-speaking countries.
great! thanks. been wondering this for a while.

MacBook
iPhone 3Gs
QUOTE Thanks
Likugha

Likugha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

did you ever think to start hitting "learn" eventually it would clear itself up but as far as what your asking IDK never thought or wanted to try tp turn it off
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Making the tab key work properly | Why is Mac better than Windows? »