New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can I create a separate Rosetta Safari icon?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

I'm 3 weeks into my iMac now and one complaint I keep hearing from my kids is that there isn't any Shockwave on it for their games. So my quick research tells me that Shockwave isn't universal yet and needs to be run under Rosetta. I turned Rosetta on for Safari and downloaded Shockwave and installed it, but I definitely noticed the slowdown in Safari.

Is there any way I can create a separate version of Safari that always runs under Rosetta, but still have the native intel version as the default? I know its easy enough to turn Rosetta on, but if there's a way to put it on the dock it'll be easier still.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Maybe if there's an AppleScript Command to turn on rosetta for any app, someone knowledgeable enough could script a little app that launches Safari in Rosetta mode.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Get a PPC version of Safari from a PPC Mac and name it something like Safari PPC. Put them both in your Applications folder, the PPC version will run under Rosetta and the Intel native one will remain the default. If you don't have a PPC Mac let me know and I will send you a PPC version of Safari.

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Why didn't I think of that?

But then .. you could also simply use Firefox for PPC of Camino. Easier to get.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disk utility?! | Ethernet Problem With New iMac »