New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iPhoto ate my Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beeker

My bad of course.

I hate to be the newbie looking for help on his first thread, but let's see if there is some hope out there for this mess I hope to undo.

I overwrote my desktop by exporting an iPhoto file without labeling it and ignored the warning that the file "desktop" existed. Lost all my desktop files because they were replaced by the iPhoto file.

I have yet to turn off my mac (OS X v.10.2.8). File Find came up with nothing. I have Norton Utilities, but I need to restart in order to run, and I don't have the cohonais to proceed because I'm not sure if it will help this situation becasue the files were never trashed or lost, just overwritten.

Any hope, or do I kiss my files goodbye?
QUOTE Thanks
zal

zal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)

thats weird
there shouldn't be a way to do that
but theres a good chance you can retrieve them with some sort of utility program
QUOTE Thanks
Beeker

I'm hoping when I reboot, everything will magically reappear, but I'm going to wait until I'm absolutely sure, or I get a few shots down to give me the courage. Thanks for the relpy Zal!
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Check the trash can?
QUOTE Thanks
Beeker

no luck DC, empty so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Beeker

Just to confirm, I spoke with someone from help desk and my screw up was permanent. No recovery program could help. All files gone bye bye. iPhoto sucks to even allow the option of overwriting the desktop, but at the end its still my dumbass fault which burns me even more!!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Yeah it's a bit of a sick thing that the Desktop is a simple folder or file that's not really hidden and stacked away - very un-OSX-ish.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

read the warnings!

but bad luck
QUOTE Thanks
Beeker

Yogi, definitely something "very un-OSX-ish" (good one)
I hear you Chris, won't let warnings go a second time...that's for sure!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

It's sad, because it's Finder residue from NexTStep, and that code/concept is about 10 years old. It's time OSX takes on new approaches like SymphonyOS Linux does.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook trackpad/keyboard ate my productivity | Got iMac Up And Running »