New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Para. on External HDD??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kuturagi

Kuturagi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB

I looked in all the parallels threads, but couldnt find this out...

Can i get an external 150gb firewire drive and install parallels with xp onto that so that i dont have to take up space on my macbook or not?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I parallel is an application, so I believe you should be able to do what you want.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

yes but does XP install to the program folder of Parallels so that it would also install to my Ext. or would windows be installed on my mac drive, or be a choice where it's at... i have never installed an OS so i dont know how that part works
QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

Can anyone answer this for me, I'm really looking into it???

Im sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions!
http://anywhere.fm/kuturagi/boosted - Enjoy my Music!
QUOTE Thanks
dupressdsu

I'm doubting that you can install the OS on the ext. HD....try it
QUOTE Thanks
iPodJon120

iPodJon120 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5.5G iPod, 8 GB iPhone

I would think you'd be able to do this just fine. Every OS install for Parallels consists of two files: A config file that has your settings for RAM, resolution, etc in it, and the other file is the hard drive file that stores the OS and all the data. So if you simply move those files to another drive, I would think it work fine. You just might have to change a setting that tells Parallels that the files are in a new directory.

20" Intel iMac 2GHz 250 GB HD 2 GB RAM 256 MB VRAM
80 GB 5.5G iPod
8 GB iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I tried it: you can move the actual OS files around as much as you want...

It asks for a folder to look in for the OS at startup... just point it to your external drive and it should load up the pc fine...
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Thanks for the info everyone, I have just installed XP and Server 2003 on my external drive
QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

thank you, i will be doing this soon

Im sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions!
http://anywhere.fm/kuturagi/boosted - Enjoy my Music!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

This is why I am a very big fan of parallels. I don't need to play games so I don't need the 3d performance that you can get with BootCamp but this is great because I can install multiple OS's on my external drive (saves space on the laptop and keeps me from messing around with the partitions). I am currently running XP Pro, Ubuntu, and SuSe

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« transfering directly pc to powerbook via firewire...possible? | External Hardrive »