New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ridiculous Wireless Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dupressdsu

As being posted in this topic....I am a trulely PC guy and thats where all my knowledge rests.

I need to have a wireless internet setup for my macbook. I ran an 802.11g card, which I suppose is more or less the same thing as the Airport Card? Also I used to have a PCMCIA Wireless Cell card for internet and that no longer will work as the MB doesn't have that slot. What can I do for internet at my home for wireless and what can I do for mobile internet like my Sprint/PCMCIA slot card equivalent?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
snow_happy

snow_happy is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupressdsu
As being posted in this topic....I am a trulely PC guy and thats where all my knowledge rests.

I need to have a wireless internet setup for my macbook. I ran an 802.11g card, which I suppose is more or less the same thing as the Airport Card? Also I used to have a PCMCIA Wireless Cell card for internet and that no longer will work as the MB doesn't have that slot. What can I do for internet at my home for wireless and what can I do for mobile internet like my Sprint/PCMCIA slot card equivalent?

Thanks again
Hello

My Airport on my macbook is just as fast as the wireless from my 802.11g (at least that I notice but I guess it depends on the types of applications you are running/browsing). As for the laptop I believe you can buy a cable and connect your cell phone and connect through your cell phone instead of the card. Or there might be an adapter for the card? Sorry I didn't give any concrete answers but just wanted to share some thoughts with you
QUOTE Thanks
dupressdsu

Thats a heck of a start though, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I've seen some adaptors that let you plug pc cards into usb.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....88911&tstart=0

And airport is just Apple's name for 802.11b/g so you should be fine with your wireless at home.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Get a bluetooth cellphone and access the net through the phone (unsure of speed, though).
QUOTE Thanks
avcabob

avcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the roughavcabob is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB

I connect to the internet through my cell phone with bluetooth. It's not that great though. Basically dial up. But I don't think I have it set up 100% and I don't have internet access as part of my plan so that's probably why it's so slow. It does work very well though. And it's nice to not have to plug anything in.
QUOTE Thanks
Mister-Twoster

Mister-Twoster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.

Am i reading this right? You need to connect your macbook to your wireless network? Why dont you just use its built in wireless?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Thank you Mister-Twoster, I was just wondering that.

IIRC, all MB and MBPs come with built in 802.11G wireless, better known as Airport.

QUOTE Thanks
Mister-Twoster

Mister-Twoster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Thank you Mister-Twoster, I was just wondering that.

IIRC, all MB and MBPs come with built in 802.11G wireless, better known as Airport.
Yep, mine did and it works GREAT from any where in my house. As for getting internet from your cell phone... im clueless.
QUOTE Thanks
dupressdsu

I was wondering specifically on Cellular internet connections, as thats a pretty useful feature that I use regularly on my PC Notebook
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupressdsu
I was wondering specifically on Cellular internet connections, as thats a pretty useful feature that I use regularly on my PC Notebook
if you have a pcmcia card for cellular internet, then you don't have many options to get it to work on a macbook. i've heard of external usb adapters for pcmcia cards, but i have no idea who sells them.
QUOTE Thanks
dupressdsu

Thats what I'm waiting for...supposedly my cell carrier (Sprint) is going to release a usb card here shortly, but then I have to wonder if the drivers will be mac compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Check this out:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/Tips/PC_5220...O_20060111671/
QUOTE Thanks
dupressdsu

Thanks, I hope they go to a USB version as I picked up the MacBook, I liked the compact size...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Arrives Next Week | Opening Zip Files in Mac »