New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do i install download applications?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

el5amu3l

Every time I download an application it just shows up on my desktop with that icon of a sheet of paper with the corner folded down. there's no zipper or anythin on it. Then i click it and it just asks me what application to use, and i dont know. Anybody, help would be great.

Also, any help on getting streaming windows media files to play on a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

What kind of file is it? What application is it?
QUOTE Thanks
el5amu3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
What kind of file is it? What application is it?
it's everything. i wanted to install winrar... couldn't. i wanted to install VLC media, couldn't. etc, etc
QUOTE Thanks
Erudite.Warrior

Erudite.Warrior has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD

When you download programs they are normally in a ".dmg" format. This is a disk image. Double click the disk image. It will mount. Open the mounted image and you will see the programs icon in there. Drag this icon to your applications folder. Once the program has been copied to your aplications folder you can unmount the image and then delete the .dmg file. Then click Appliclations and double click your program.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

WinRar for Mac OS X? There is RAR by the same company though...

Whatever you download should be in dmg format. Read this for more on dmg:
http://www.kamu.ch/switch/index.php?page=art&artid=4

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
clairejr

You might need to install Stuffit Expander first. You can get it here:

http://www.stuffit.com/downloads/fil...xp10.1Beta.dmg

After it downloads, just click the .dmg file. A "disk" will appear on your desktop. Open it and move Stuffit Expander to your Applications folder.

Claire
QUOTE Thanks
cdawg

cdawg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 20", 2.0 GHz BlacBook

Also, be sure that you are not trying to use the .exe version of an application. That's the PC executable and won't run.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Yeah I had problems with installing apps. I was originally running them from the .dmg files! I'm a numpty!

Anyway...

How do you go about uninstalling? is that as simple as dragging the App to the 'Trash Can'?
QUOTE Thanks
zal

zal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)

^exactly, thats one of those beautiful Mac os features!
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Cheers for that zal.

Oh more and more I learn about Mac OS X the more I love it.

hehehe here's a little funny snippet to make you all chuckle.
I had never used Mac OS X before this last weekend. Anyway for 3 days I had been using, I didn't know you could hold down 'ctrl' to get extra menu features on a click!
I had to ask my mate at work if there was anything similar to a Windows right-click, he's still laughing at me now! He couldn't believe I've lasted all weekend without knowing that!
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

there's also a way to right click with the trackpad. if you go into system preferences and look in the keyboard and mouse options you can turn on two finger right clicking.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg
Also, be sure that you are not trying to use the .exe version of an application. That's the PC executable and won't run.
Yeah, I second that.
It would seem more like you are trying to download and install Windows apps to me.
You will also want to look into downloading and installing Stuffit Expander from the sound of things, as was previously mentioned if you haven't already.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand New MacBook Owner Needs Image Source help | winows/OSX and Music »