Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2006
    Posts
    15
    memory and video card question
    I was talking to a friend today who works for CompUSA. He told me that Macs can supposrt any amount of RAM regardless of the size of the sticks. I have a dual processor 2.5ghz G5 and was under the assumtion that it would max out at 8 gigs of RAM. Would it be plausible to put in 8 2gig sticks to go up to 16 gigs?

    Also, he said that virtually an ATI video cards would work in a Mac, and when I talked to Apple they said as long as the drivers were available for the Mac, the video card should work. Even though a card doesn't have Mac specs on the box, would it be OK to put it in?

  2. #2

    coach_z's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    3,169
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    um, what mac are you talking about. each mac has a maximum amount of ram you can put in it.

    and yes just about any video card with supported drivers will work even though it doesnt say it on the box. let us know what you want to use and we will help you out saying 'yea itll work' or 'nope'
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by coach_z
    um, what mac are you talking about. each mac has a maximum amount of ram you can put in it.

    and yes just about any video card with supported drivers will work even though it doesnt say it on the box. let us know what you want to use and we will help you out saying 'yea itll work' or 'nope'
    -chris
    I have a dual processor 2.5ghz g5. I know the max that is stated is 8 gigs but what if I put 8 2 gig sticks in it? Will it support 16 gigs?

  4. #4

    coach_z's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    3,169
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    no
    -chris

    edit: let me expand on my response. it states that the max is 8 gigs because the max is 8 gigs. also, i would not allow your friend who works at compUSA to ever work on or use your computer if he believes what he has told you to be true.
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jun 09, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by coach_z
    no
    -chris

    edit: let me expand on my response. it states that the max is 8 gigs because the max is 8 gigs. also, i would not allow your friend who works at compUSA to ever work on or use your computer if he believes what he has told you to be true.
    it didn't sound right, so I wanted to make sure. It's not that 8 gigs isn't alot, but since I do alot of video and graphic design intensive work, I want to be able to max out my computers potential. I'm also weary about buying an video card (or any addon card for that matter) that doesn't specifically have Mac OS X requirements.

  6. #6

    jhelm007's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 18, 2004
    Location
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Posts
    629
    Specs:
    MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbx
    Also, he said that virtually an ATI video cards would work in a Mac, and when I talked to Apple they said as long as the drivers were available for the Mac, the video card should work. Even though a card doesn't have Mac specs on the box, would it be OK to put it in?
    I don't believe this is correct. There are mac versions of many ATI cards and many others can be 'flashed' with mac roms (drivers whatever), but don't buy a video card unless you know it will work with your computer.

    If you don't know if a video card will work in your G5 or not check around the web ATI's site is pretty good. You can also search these forums. OWC (www.macsales.com) has a pretty good compatibility guide last time I checked.

    Flashing a Mac ROM onto a PC video card voids its warranty and sometimes breaks it (i.e. won't work in PC or Mac).

  7. #7

    IronMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2004
    Posts
    584
    Specs:
    Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
    So what about older machines like the first gen iBook G4. Apple said 640 was the max and that was only because at the time there were no 1GB PC2100 sticks. As soon as the bigger sticks came out people were able to use put up to 1.12GB.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Memory card reader question
    By GCFarrow in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
  2. importing stills/video from memory card to iMoive
    By tadd5181 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
  3. Video card question
    By mikeml in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
  4. Question about Memory Card Reader on Macbook
    By markw10 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
  5. A video card question
    By macEfan in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •