New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Won't open .rtf file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Friend scanned magazine page. Saved in Word as .rtf file and sent to me. PC opens it right up. When my iMac clicks on it what appears to be a Word window opens immediately but there's nothing in it. Blank page.

How to open .rtf file?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Rich Text Format should open right up in TextEdit.
You can also try to open in Preview.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

.rtf does not open in TextEdit or in Preview. Both show blank screen. Screen looks like Word screen but there's nothing in it.

Only success via this method, just found: save the file, highlight it from saved location, click file, click "open with", choose Word and click on it. Then .rtf file opens right up.

OK, so I was able to get to it and read it by this roundabout method. However, this is kind of silly for a simple message that just came in attached to an e-mail. Surely there is an easier one-click method and I'm missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo
.rtf does not open in TextEdit or in Preview. Both show blank screen. Screen looks like Word screen but there's nothing in it.

Only success via this method, just found: save the file, highlight it from saved location, click file, click "open with", choose Word and click on it. Then .rtf file opens right up.

OK, so I was able to get to it and read it by this roundabout method. However, this is kind of silly for a simple message that just came in attached to an e-mail. Surely there is an easier one-click method and I'm missing something?
When you pull up the info window again, make sure you click the button "change all" where it says 'use this application to open all documents like this'

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
When you pull up the info window again, make sure you click the button "change all" where it says 'use this application to open all documents like this'
I do not see "change all" or "use this application to open all documents like this" anywhere I'm looking. Sorry to be such a noob on you.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolo
I do not see "change all" or "use this application to open all documents like this" anywhere I'm looking. Sorry to be such a noob on you.
Highlight the file and hit Command + I

QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Thanks for your good advice and patience in getting me to where I needed to go.

Works fine, now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A couple of questions (Newbie) | Macbook Memory »