New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any hope for WMV files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Learning new iMac. 6 days old. Going wonderfully well except......

My friend's video-jokes won't play. Joecartoon on the web, for example, has video, but doesn't have sound. Videos (probably wmv's) from most web-sites either don't come up or come up in tiny unenlargeable windows with compromised images and sound. Searching here brought up a few ideas, but the impression I'm getting is there's a problem without a solution at this point. Am I mistaken about that?

With PC I've been accustomed to downloading/playing whatever's available. With the new iMac, I'm encountering these limitations. Am I missing something obvious? Is my new iMac going to be unable to play these common-as-nails WMV clips?
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...formacosx.html
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

do you have windows media player downloaded?

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoblp
do you have windows media player downloaded?
"Genius" at Apple Store downloaded MPlayer OS X 2. It enabled play of WMA audio files. It also allows play (apparently) of audio portion of WMV files. I get sound-track but no video on those. Many others remain scrambled, as described.
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Looks promising. Downloaded. However, clicking on the icon on my screen brings up this message: "There is no default application specified to open the document 'Windows Media.sitx'" Options are "cancel" and "choose application".

Sorry if I'm being a dope. Can you tell me what to do next.
QUOTE Thanks
Cashmonee

Cashmonee is on a distinguished road

Flip4Mac released a beta of their universal binary Quicktime plugin a few weeks ago, so the public realease should be very soon.
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

You need StuffIt Expander. http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/index.html

But the WMP file is a .bin file... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...9/default.aspx
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
.....the WMP file is a .bin file... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...9/default.aspx
The "readme" file for this product is dated November 2003. I see nothing anywhere indicating suitability for Intel-Macs -- only OSX sort of generally. Everything I've seen so far that is OK for Intel-Macs says so conspicuously so I am suspicious. Am I in the right place?

I have iMac with Intel running OS X 10.4.6
QUOTE Thanks
Rob

Yeah... they discontinued it. But it is free.

It will run slow, but at least it is free. If you want a link to one that costs, just let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
BiT

BiT is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz

No, Windows Media Player won't play videos embeded on the web, it will ask you if you want to open it up in the player if you go to a site that has a .wmv. You can get the beta other places, but since can't talk about it here. There is always Google.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

well can you download the video files to your desktop? b/c if so, iSquint will convert them to .mp4, which is then SUPER easy to watch...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyme13
No, Windows Media Player won't play videos embeded on the web....
Extremely disappointed to be learning this. Feeling like I just bought a car that looks, sounds, and works wonderfully except it stops running if I take it past my own driveway. Had no idea I'd be giving up something so basic with the switch. Looks like I'll be keeping the PC afterall.

Can I look forward to a time my iMac will allow me view these clips on the web? And those my friends send to me? etc., etc.?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Someone else already posted this but I will repeat, Flip4Mac will soon have the Universal Application released. Then you should be able to play them fine. Have you in the mean time tried VLC? Not sure if it will work with all Windows stuff, but give it a shot. Its' free and Universal now.

Edit, I just tried VLC on a few WMV's that I have. One worked and the other 2 had no sound. I can play they all perfectally on my G5 iMac with Flip4Mac. Will do some checking and try to find out when the Universal will be released.

That should solve your problems. I am amazed it's taking them this long. Microsoft dropped support for Windows Media on the Mac and handed it over to the Flip4Mac player.

Also I had no problem viewing JoeCartoon on my imac g5.
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Yeah... they discontinued it. But it is free.

It will run slow, but at least it is free. If you want a link to one that costs, just let me know.
Yes, I would like a link to something that works.

I knew Macs didn't come with Word and that I would have to buy that so I did. I would be willing to purchase a product that would give my iMac WMV capability also. Just wish I'd known about the shortcoming going in so I could have considered it. Feeling like this is Mac-version of chasing drivers. Right now, I'm not feeling at all like "everything just works."
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Someone else already posted this....Flip4Mac will soon have the Universal Application released. Have you in the mean time tried VLC? Not sure if it will work with all Windows stuff, but give it a shot.
Guess I'll have to wait.

As to VLC and other suggestions, I don't know if they will work but, more to the point, I didn't make this switch to chase all over the web and try-this and try-that trying find some combination of somethings that will make my machine do what its supposed to. That's what my PC required. That's what was burning up so much of my time. That's what I was hoping to leave behind when I made the switch. I really don't care for the research and experimentation. I just want my stuff to work. I thought that's what Macs offered. Learning that this particular shortcoming requires me to hop back on that merry-go-round is very disappointing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« books | How much memory? »