New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I was the most anit-mac guy out there...(you'll want to read this) :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spaztaz

I was the guy that said Mac and Apple were gay. I was the guy that instantly said Mac OS was garbage and windows owned it in everything. I was the guy that made fun of "rich kids" that bought macs when they could have bought a superior pc. I was truely a windows/pc fanboy. But, this was not because i had NOT used mac os, in fact i used mac os in grade/middle school (I'm going to be a senior in HS now ). But it was the mac os that didnt have the cool toolbar, didnt have the flair that mac osx 10.4 has (sry i dont remember the number...). That based all my biases on mac/apple until now. I have now changed to the "light" side. I finally made the switch to an apple macbook. I bought the system in my sig for equivalent of $850 (i traded my pc laptop for it, and thats how much i paid for it). It came with a sleeve, mx1000 laser mouse (brand new in box), a cooling pad, the laptop with battery, discs, and the charger itself. I think this is a steal (it would have costed me close to $1400 in store for the same unit-I cant get a student discount yet). Anyway, I kind of dove into this craiglist trade; I did it because I always wanted a mac in the back of my head, but they were too expensive for my blood. But $850 with all the extras was a steal IMO. Also with the release of bootcamp I could also use windows; the balance of both worlds. First booting up the macbook i was amazed at how fast it loaded, even with only 512mb of ram! I was also amazed at how slick and intergrated/seamless the OS was setup, I truely love the design and how it works. I was thinking about the primary programs I use with windows: firefox, trillian, limewire pro, photoshop, illustrator, flash, itunes, fruityloops (beat making program), and a tiny bit of gaming. Well I can do all of that on my macbook now (safari owns, ichat owns, limewire still owns, photoshop is a bit slow but runs, garage band is great one i learn it more, etc). I was planning to install windows for games, but for now I am not going to; I want to learn mac OSx more and i dont think a 60gb hd is big enough for that (btw, with all the programs installed on the laptop, i had about 40gb availabe, is that normal?). maybe when i upgrade to a bigger HD (if i do). anyway i am extremely happy with it, and gaming wise i have a 360. and its great cuz my 360, macbook, and ds lite match perfectly, and my soon to buy ipod nano (when i get cash) will match as well. Just thought i would share my experiences with all of you! Thanks this is my frist post if u hadnt noticed! Also if all goes well i plan to sell this before i leave to college after next year and upgrade to the macbook pro (hopefully with merom)
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Awesome man, congratulations! I know youll end up loving the mac, especially for the programs you listed, and if you have questions you found the right place. I used to be the same as you, but I started getting into graphic design and when OSX came out, I started looking at macs more and more. Now, ill probably never buy another pc again, especially since you can load windows on a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

Congrats on your Macbook!! Welcome to the "bright" side and also welcome to the forums. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaztaz
(hopefully with memrom)
just to help, its Merom.
QUOTE Thanks
spaztaz

thanks guys (sry for spelling error...)
QUOTE Thanks
spaztaz

quick question: if i ever misplaced the restore cd's, is there a place where i could buy them or order them? thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

You can always just buy a new copy of Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

There aren't really any 'Restore CDs', as far as I know, everything that comes on the macbook is on the Tiger install DVD. At least for my iMac G5, everything the Mac came with (e.g. iLife) was on the Tiger install DVD. I would think that the newer Tiger DVDs would include iLife '06 as opposed to iLife '05.

BTW, nice sig. My favorite characters are Uncle Ruckus and Huey. Unfortunately, school has made me miss a large portion of the eps on [as].

Welcome to the light side :mac:

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
spaztaz

so a copy of tiger would do the trick? i am so used to windows machines with multiple restore discs, driver discs, etc. also would apple replace those discs under warranty for a discount? jw, and thank u all! o, and boondocks OWNS
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Yep just buy a new copy of Tiger to restore. It won't restore iLife, but it will restore all of the essential apps. IDK about replacements though.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

The Tiger Install DVD's that come with your computer are the "Restore CD's". So if you did not receive those then yeah you would need to either buy a new copy of Tiger or find a used copy on eBay or craigslist or wherever you would like. If you could wait, I would just wait until 10.5 comes out and then buy it... But if you can't wait and you did not get them with your computer then I would do one of the above.
QUOTE Thanks
spaztaz

i guess i'll wait for the new OS...i was told by somebody that u get new OS's for free with macs, is that wrong? lol sry for my noobness
QUOTE Thanks
Geowge

One down, a couple hundred million to go.
QUOTE Thanks
spaztaz

LOL^ i've been spreading tho (for ex. my friend is now getting one as a grad gift instead of a pc now that he's played with mine. he's getting a pro tho, lucky!)
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaztaz
quick question: if i ever misplaced the restore cd's, is there a place where i could buy them or order them? thanks!
Question; Are you actually looking for a replacement set now, or more of a just in case kind of thing?
QUOTE Thanks
ShillAT

ShillAT has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!

yeah! another boondocks fan!

"You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
-Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a BURNING urge to switch | Keyboard Shortcuts on macbookpro »