New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Help w/ Basic Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

randalgilliam

There is a basic keyboard shortcut common to most Windows apps whereby the menu bar (i.e., that portion at the top of the screen that usually reads from left to right as "File Edit View", etc. may be accessed by simply pressing the "Alt" key. This feature is especially helpful if you don't have each keyboard shortcut memorized for each function you might wish to activate from the various menus and want to browse the menus without reaching for your mouse. Is there a Mac equivalent to this keyboard shortcut? I have search this forum and found no answer to this question (maybe too basic a question, and I'm the only idiot that can't figure this out). :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
jonnymontreal

jonnymontreal is an unknown at this point

I am looking for the same thing and have found NOTHING.
I guess for us Windows converts, this is one area where a Mac sux.

I hate having to go to the mouse....sniff
QUOTE Thanks
dp32185

dp32185 is on a distinguished road

^ you do realize that the original post is from over 3 years ago...right? anywho, once you figure out the "command" combinations, you and I should be okay. for instance:

MAC version: copy = hold command (apple key), press C
paste = hold command, press V

Windows version: copy = hold cntrl, press C
paste = hold cntrl, press V

It's all relatively the same...I've noticed that the command key is almost equivalent to the Windows cntrl key. It'll take some time getting used to, but it shouldn't be all that bad...

.....this coming from a 3-day-old-MAC user.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

dp32185, you are already a fine Mac user!

OS X Keyboard Shortcuts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My firt mac. need some help | Ah! Trying to copy a file from external drive, white "no can do" symbol... »