New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Avi/Toast problem


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
pugui

 
pugui's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2006
Posts: 27
pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

pugui is offline
This should have been simple enough, try and burn an avi to DVD using Toast 7. And it was, I left it encoding/burning overnight and the DVD was ready in the morning, except when I tried it on my DVD player it was all black and white. I tried it with a couple of different avi files but the result was always the same. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Are there any other methods for burning an avi to play on DVD? :dummy:

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

nice job searching caveat...welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncSki1218
nice job searching caveat...welcome.
Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

 
Graphite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2003
Location: Tropical Island, Jealous?
Posts: 5,279
Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Graphite is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.
Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard
But the description does indeed clearly say it is ok to ask questions! How am I wrong in saying that?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
And for his next trick, Graphite will ban caveatipss...


QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

 
Graphite's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 25, 2003
Location: Tropical Island, Jealous?
Posts: 5,279
Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Graphite is offline
Don't be mad, just move forward.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

 
techster82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 586
techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

techster82 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.
It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82
It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.
And what will be done with posts which confuse the word "provoke" with "invoke?"
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

 
Sobe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 24, 2005
Posts: 175
Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Sobe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.

Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe
Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe
Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

 
Sobe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 24, 2005
Posts: 175
Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Sobe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?

Not every post is in regards to the same question.

In fact, a lot of them pertain to recent news, "This mac or this mac" questions, "upgrade ideas", etc.

But if the question is technical in nature, it wouldn't kill the person to search before posting.

At least I don't think it would :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
pugui

 
pugui's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2006
Posts: 27
pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

pugui is offline
Wow, well... umm, I certainly did not intend to start a small war here I just asked about this B&W thing because I couldn't find anything in the forums about that.

I did find lots of help on other things, and I've learned so much searching this forums. From torrents, to widgets, Mac The Ripper to Toast. I don't know any other Mac users so this has been my lifeline whenever I've been stuck. I find what I need here, and most of the time I've only had to search a bit to find what I needed.

I researched how to go about this avi to DVD process, there are lots of threads about how to go about it, and I tried them, the results as I mentioned earlier were all B&W. I wanted to ask before I keep wasting any more DVDs, as they are not cheap.

If there is a thread with an answer to my question, I've been unable to find it, and I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

 
yogi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2005
Location: St. Gallen, Switzerland
Posts: 1,973
yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

yogi is offline
Caveat: Please stop making every thread a flame-caveat thread. But to answer your question in the overclock-thread:

It's wrong to answer a question already asked because it fills up the board.
NOT every question ever has already been asked, many users have very specific situations that are unique and need help respectively. Furthermore, the Apple product diaspora will develop and thus more questions or topics will evolve. If a newbie comes to this forum he's likely to find his answers in the search, and that's what the forum's for. It's a database, but not a dead one. It can grow if necesssary.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Keychain and RoboForm. How similar? | dock problem »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Intermittent Startup Problem (hardware) j3sp Apple Desktops 3 05-19-2008 10:50 AM
Problem with networking a Mac Mini richiestang78 Apple Desktops 7 05-03-2005 10:08 AM
HELP wierd iMac startup problem iluvmacs Apple Desktops 8 09-13-2004 06:47 AM
Problem with Finder in OS X 10.3.4 Bright_Eyes OS X - Operating System 3 07-06-2004 05:02 PM
G5 Video problem WilliS Apple Desktops 3 05-05-2004 09:16 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?