Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
    Avi/Toast problem
    This should have been simple enough, try and burn an avi to DVD using Toast 7. And it was, I left it encoding/burning overnight and the DVD was ready in the morning, except when I tried it on my DVD player it was all black and white. I tried it with a couple of different avi files but the result was always the same. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Are there any other methods for burning an avi to play on DVD? :dummy:

Thanks in advance!

UncSki1218
    nice job searching caveat...welcome.

caveatipss
    Quote Originally Posted by UncSki1218
    nice job searching caveat...welcome.
    Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Quote Originally Posted by caveatipss
    Well, since asking questions in a question forum is apparently wrong and frowned upon here, I'll be d*mned if anyone else is going to get away with asking a question in here. According to certain people, as long as a question has conceivably been answered at least once, by someone, somehow, somewhere on the internet, then it may not be asked, even though the description of this forum blatantly states that is for Mac newbies to ask questions.
    Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard

caveatipss
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    Sorry dude, thats not how it works around here. Read the last post before I closed it. Accept the praise, this is a turn around. Its also not up to you, its really not even up to me its up to the community and its a trend of the forum. If its not, well then I guess it is up to the mods :biohazard
    But the description does indeed clearly say it is ok to ask questions! How am I wrong in saying that?

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    And for his next trick, Graphite will ban caveatipss...

caveatipss
    Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Don't be mad, just move forward.

Specs:
    Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
    Very well. If you all are going to argue that it is wrong and unwelcome for a Mac newbie to ask questions on a Mac newbie forum designed for asking questions, then I leave you to argue with a brick wall. As for me, I will continue to learn what I can about Macs, and I will try to be nice to newcomers to this forum.
    It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.

caveatipss
    Quote Originally Posted by techster82
    It is fine to ask intelligent and thought invoking questions. Stupid ones will be made fun of and the poster will be given a hard time by all.
    And what will be done with posts which confuse the word "provoke" with "invoke?"

Specs:
    17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe

caveatipss
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobe
    Look.

In the last thread, you said you wanted to LEARN more about macs.

If you took the time to SEARCH and READ previous threads, you would actually LEARN something.

This isn't a fan-forum, or a music/art/gaming forum.. this is a tech(for the most part) forum.

If you have something that you need to learn about, use the SEARCH function, find various threads on the topic (ie. reasons why my post count is so low, I read instead of filling the boards with spam), and find your answer. In fact, you'll find follow-up posts that might even answer questions you haven't even come up with yet :p

It's just easier on the community to come to the boards, look at the various sub-forums, and not have to see the same question asked over-and-over again.

-Sobe
    Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?

Specs:
    17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
    Again, if all anyone is supposed to do is search a database, then why does this forum exist?

Not every post is in regards to the same question.

In fact, a lot of them pertain to recent news, "This mac or this mac" questions, "upgrade ideas", etc.

But if the question is technical in nature, it wouldn't kill the person to search before posting.

At least I don't think it would :confused:

Specs:
    imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
    Wow, well... umm, I certainly did not intend to start a small war here I just asked about this B&W thing because I couldn't find anything in the forums about that.

I did find lots of help on other things, and I've learned so much searching this forums. From torrents, to widgets, Mac The Ripper to Toast. I don't know any other Mac users so this has been my lifeline whenever I've been stuck. I find what I need here, and most of the time I've only had to search a bit to find what I needed.

I researched how to go about this avi to DVD process, there are lots of threads about how to go about it, and I tried them, the results as I mentioned earlier were all B&W. I wanted to ask before I keep wasting any more DVDs, as they are not cheap.

If there is a thread with an answer to my question, I've been unable to find it, and I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 7+, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Caveat: Please stop making every thread a flame-caveat thread. But to answer your question in the overclock-thread:

It's wrong to answer a question already asked because it fills up the board.
    NOT every question ever has already been asked, many users have very specific situations that are unique and need help respectively. Furthermore, the Apple product diaspora will develop and thus more questions or topics will evolve. If a newbie comes to this forum he's likely to find his answers in the search, and that's what the forum's for. It's a database, but not a dead one. It can grow if necesssary.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Thread Information