New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caveatipss

Ok, there is no such question or answer in the Search function. Will the 20" Intel Core Duo iMac accept RAM with heat spreaders on it? In other words, are the RAM slots big enough to hold RAM sticks with heat spreaders on them? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
netdog

netdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Ok, there is no such question or answer in the Search function. Will the 20" Intel Core Duo iMac accept RAM with heat spreaders on it? In other words, are the RAM slots big enough to hold RAM sticks with heat spreaders on them? Thanks.
Don't believe it will. It's a tight fit as is, and even super thin heat spreaders would likely obstruct the RAMs insertion. Moreover, I could be wrong but I've never seen laptop size DDR2 sticks with heat spreaders.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Oh crap...the iMac uses laptop RAM??
QUOTE Thanks
netdog

netdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Oh crap...the iMac uses laptop RAM??
Yeah, they're 200-pin SODIMMs.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Ok thanks. Did not know that.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Once again, by reading the specifications for the $1600 computer you just purchased you might have realized what type of ram it took. For someone who knows soooo much about computers you continue to amaze me at your level of awareness. You have NO reason in the world to want heat spreaders on your ram. You will not be changing the timings on your ram, you will not be overclocking them, and you will not be using HEAT SPREADERS!!!!!! The ram in an iMac is a tight fit and you WILL NOT be using heat spreaders. I dare to repeat myself in case you didn't pay attention the first time.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82
Once again, by reading the specifications for the $1600 computer you just purchased you might have realized what type of ram it took. For someone who knows soooo much about computers you continue to amaze me at your level of awareness. You have NO reason in the world to want heat spreaders on your ram. You will not be changing the timings on your ram, you will not be overclocking them, and you will not be using HEAT SPREADERS!!!!!! The ram in an iMac is a tight fit and you WILL NOT be using heat spreaders. I dare to repeat myself in case you didn't pay attention the first time.
Ah, but let us examine some rational facts, my friend, rather than erupt in a storm of emotion.

1. I did read the specifications, but I did not note the pin count on the Ram. Why? Simply because it was not relevant to my decision to purchase it.

2. I have never claimed to know "soooo much about computers." What I claim is that I know enough to mod and overclock Windows computers. I know a good deal about them, but am by no means an expert. Since Mac motherboards are proprietary, then logically, I do not know anything about overclocking them.

3. Your premise that anyone who know alot about computers would count the pins on his new order's RAM, or else he does not know anything about computers, is a fallacy, specifically, that of non sequitor. There is nothing about knowing about computers that logically demands that one cound RAM pins.

4. Indeed, there are many reasons why I might want heat spreaders. Some are:
A. I simply want cooler RAM for better performance.
B. The highest quality RAM automatically comes with heat spreaders, whether I want them or not.
C. I plan to overclock my system.
D. Etc.

Now, I have used calm, cool reason to answer your angry, emotional outburst. Perhaps in the future, before making such outbursts, we could first discuss things rationally? Then, perhaps you might see that your assumptions sometimes are groundless, and that your conclousions about me are in fact not reasonable.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://www.apple.com/imac/whatsinside.html

That should help. Yes they are DDR2 SoDimms. They fit into narrow openings. No heat spreaders.
QUOTE Thanks
ThaXStank

ThaXStank is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by techster82
unecessary flame!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4/G5 vs. Intel | Games »