Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    eightyeight
    Guest
    MacBook or MacBook Pro?
    I am entering college in the fall, and I am getting a new notebook because of this and because I've wanted a Mac since I started using Windows approximately 5 years ago. I need to know whether I should get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I'll use it for some video editing, recording for my band, and for photo manipulation from time to time.

  2. #2
    MacBook or MacBook Pro?

    Member Since
    May 30, 2006
    Posts
    205
    Specs:
    iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyeight
    I am entering college in the fall, and I am getting a new notebook because of this and because I've wanted a Mac since I started using Windows approximately 5 years ago. I need to know whether I should get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I 'll use it for some video editing, recording for my band, and for photo manipulation from time to time.
    I'm not even a Mac user so, maybe, take this with a grain, but.....

    One of the reasons for my resurgent interest in Macs (several posts on switching forum) has been observations from parents (my peers) about the experience of their children's lap-tops throughout their college years. The reports I get from them is, basically, the kids that got PC laptops had to change them out after a couple of years. Reason was, they physically fell apart inside and outside. The kids that got macs were still using theirs in graduate school.

    I have a relative who's business more-or-less requires their business-life to reside on PC-laptop. They've had Dell, Gateway, and private-builds over the last 8 years. Interestingly, they've had to change every two years or so, too -- similar to my friends' college-student children.

    If I was your mom/dad or you/yourself, with that feedback from people I know and trust, I would buy the biggest, baddest, fastest, most tricked-out Mac laptop I could possibly afford.

    And I would never let it out of my sight!!!!! The caveat to above is that laptop computer thefts on-campus are rampant.

  3. #3
    MacBook or MacBook Pro?
    techster82's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    586
    Specs:
    Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
    The rule of thumb when purchasing a laptop is to get the absolute best laptop you can afford. This is because unlike most desktop computers, laptops are not easily upgradable. Sure adding ram is no biggie, but for the average user, you are not going to want to take apart your laptop to add a bigger hard drive etc. If you can afford a 2GHZ Macbook Pro with 256mb video card, 100GB hard drive and so on go for it. If the $1099 Macbook is all you can afford, don't feel down because you will love it. Speed wise I can only see the Macbook Pro being faster for things that require massive amounts of VRAM. If you want to game, use 3D programs etc. then go with the Macbook Pro. Otherwise, the less expensive Macbook will do you just fine. I personally prefer a smaller screen to use at school because of portability. Good luck with your purchase.

  4. #4
    caveatipss
    Guest
    Why not get the most that your money can buy?

  5. #5
    iRizzo
    Guest
    MacBook Pro

  6. #6
    composer
    Guest
    With the exceptions of games, aren't they basically the same if not better (MB)?

    It shows MAC BOOK running FC, Motion, etc.

    The only caveat is gaming......due to the 3d vector imaging needed for gaming whereas FC and Motion are 2D.

    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars/6

    http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firs...ench/index.php

  7. #7
    dentzx
    Guest
    Can I expect prices on either the MB or MBP to go down during the summer? I'm also an entering college student... and when do you think the next upgrades will be made to these machines?

    I'm also having trouble deciding between the two... I like the look and bigger screen on the MBP but having trouble deciding whether it's worth the $. I want the notebook I get to last me the next four years... will the slightly better specs on the MBP really help with that or are both equal in terms of durability/longevity?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    MacBook or MacBook Pro?
    CarlConti08's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2006
    Location
    Tallmadge, Ohio
    Posts
    371
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
    Im not a college student, but i am a high school student, and I too a torn b/w the two. I love the sleekness of the MB but the aluminum shell on the MBP is pretty sweet too. My dillema(sp?) is that in order to pay for this switch from my life long PC use, so like 8 maybe 9 years, to a mac, im going to sell my xbox 360 and my psp, therefore im basically giving up gaming. This will likely be sorta tuff for me but not as tough as it would be for some ppl. I normally have like short spans of intense involvment in gaming seperated by longer periods of inactivity. So my question is, for my situation, would it really be worth it to work for an extra month this summer to pay for a MBP for its graphic ability, which is rather appalingly staggering(<<does that make sense?) compared to the MB, rather than just buying a MB which is actually more asthetically appealing to me. I also would be upgrading to 1gb of ram and 120gb HD whether its a MB or a MBP.

  9. #9
    xthisisRomancex
    Guest
    topright
    Apple Beginning Back-To-School Promotion Monday?

    Sunday June 04, 2006 07:49 PM EST
    Posted by longofest

    Mac Rumors
    MacRumors has received word that Apple will be starting its Back-To-School promotion early this year. The promotion, which usually begins early-July, is rumored to offer a $179.00 rebate when students or teachers purchase a qualifying Mac and iPod. This would allow educational buyers to get a 2 GB Nano for free using educational pricing, or apply the discount on higher-priced iPods.

    This information roughly parallels a recent ThinkSecret report also claiming that the promotion will begin on Monday. ThinkSecret, however, believes that the rebate will be $150
    taken from mac rumors

    this could possibly help you out

  10. #10
    Madhatter
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by asolo
    One of the reasons for my resurgent interest in Macs (several posts on switching forum) has been observations from parents (my peers) about the experience of their children's lap-tops throughout their college years. The reports I get from them is, basically, the kids that got PC laptops had to change them out after a couple of years. Reason was, they physically fell apart inside and outside. The kids that got macs were still using theirs in graduate school.

    I have a relative who's business more-or-less requires their business-life to reside on PC-laptop. They've had Dell, Gateway, and private-builds over the last 8 years. Interestingly, they've had to change every two years or so, too -- similar to my friends' college-student children.

    If I was your mom/dad or you/yourself, with that feedback from people I know and trust, I would buy the biggest, baddest, fastest, most tricked-out Mac laptop I could possibly afford.

    And I would never let it out of my sight!!!!! The caveat to above is that laptop computer thefts on-campus are rampant.
    Did they buy the cheapest PC laptops they could find, while with the Mac laptops you have a small choice of premium-priced products?

    I know you get flimsy PC laptops, but I have friends who have been using the same PC laptops for many years. One in particular in no way looks after her PC laptop, the thing has taken years of abuse and still works perfectly.

    Another factor is the attitude to the laptop. If your child is given the impression that the PC laptop is cheap and expected not to last they will mistreat. If you make a fuss about the Apple laptop having cost a fortune and you expect them guard it with their life, and to will it to their children they'll treat it very differently.

    I've seen how business users treat their laptops. It's company hardware and they don't care what happens to it. Make them pay $1500 of their own money and they'll act differently.

    Definitely never let any laptop out of your sight on campus or anywhere else. Attach it to a vicious attack dog if you have to :spook:

  11. #11
    Madhatter
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by techster82
    The rule of thumb when purchasing a laptop is to get the absolute best laptop you can afford. This is because unlike most desktop computers, laptops are not easily upgradable. Sure adding ram is no biggie, but for the average user, you are not going to want to take apart your laptop to add a bigger hard drive etc.
    Adding a new hard drive is about as easy as adding more RAM.

    You are stuck with the 13.3" screen, probably the CPU and graphics processor too. Even if the latter are replaceable you do usually have to take the whole machine apart.

  12. #12
    UncSki1218
    Guest
    for what you said you were gonna use it for you would probably want a macbook pro.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM
  2. late 2012 macbook pro vs mid 2014 macbook pro 13"
    By mustafa.salam in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM
  3. Macbook,Macbook Pro Macbook Air bought in Korea
    By GINZY in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •