New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

No stand by in Boot Camp...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corysw

corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

You know how when you close the lid, the Macbook goes to sleep? And sort of the same thing happens when you click Stand By on a PC? Well when you're running Windows on the Macbook and you close the lid nothing happens, and in the Start menu Stand By is grayed out. Do I actually have to shut it down?
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysw
You know how when you close the lid, the Macbook goes to sleep? And sort of the same thing happens when you click Stand By on a PC? Well when you're running Windows on the Macbook and you close the lid nothing happens, and in the Start menu Stand By is grayed out. Do I actually have to shut it down?
Somewhere in the Control Panel or in Windows's settings, you can choose what you want to happen when you close the lid, shut down, nothing, sleep etc. Just find that setting and select stand by. Sorry I could not help more
QUOTE Thanks
corysw

It's under Power Options. It says:
"When I close the lid of my portable computer:"

But the only choice there is "Do nothing"...
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Quote:
It's under Power Options. It says:
"When I close the lid of my portable computer:"

But the only choice there is "Do nothing"...
Then I have no idea, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I wonder why Windows is unable to sleep the macbook.

You'd have to find out what part of the computer actually controls sleeping. If it's BIOS, it's possible this doesn't work with Apple's EFI technology.

But I really have not much knowledge on that topic (was that english...)

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

QUOTING PENGUINS IN MADAGASCAR=

"Well that sucks!"
QUOTE Thanks
corysw

I shut it down, and when I turned it back on, I went back, and now the options are all there. So now it does stand by when I shut the lid. I guess I just had to restart it.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

As much as you hate windows, why are you even using it?
QUOTE Thanks
corysw

There are some things you just can't do on a Mac. I like going to http://local.live.com, and it doesn't work in OS X or Virtual PC. I also like Solitaire.
On another note, at work we use Windows XP in classic mode, and call me crazy, but after using the colorful version at home on a really fast computer for a few minutes, I actually found OS X kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I could never use Windows as my main OS, as I would never get anything done, between not having things like Expose or Spotlight.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
I wonder why Windows is unable to sleep the macbook.

You'd have to find out what part of the computer actually controls sleeping. If it's BIOS, it's possible this doesn't work with Apple's EFI technology.

But I really have not much knowledge on that topic (was that english...)
Because it's Windows! If there is something that Windows can screw up, it will find it and do it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
There are some things you just can't do on a Mac. I like going to http://local.live.com, and it doesn't work in OS X or Virtual PC. I also like Solitaire.
On another note, at work we use Windows XP in classic mode, and call me crazy, but after using the colorful version at home on a really fast computer for a few minutes, I actually found OS X kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I could never use Windows as my main OS, as I would never get anything done, between not having things like Expose or Spotlight.

I tried that url in Firefox and Opera under OSX and both worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with QuickTime PLEASE!!!!! | Re-Use Linux Icons as Mac Icons? »