New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saw Macbook Pro Today...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caveatipss

...in the cafe. Beautiful. I realize that I can now afford an iMac maxed out, or a Macbook Pro with really good specs. What to do?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

oh man

just wait. and then figure out what you can really afford. and then figure out if you need portability or not.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

If you want portability, definately go with the MacBook Pro. It's essentially just a portable iMac with a smaller screen. Make sure you get the 7200rpm drive though; my sister-in-law bought a MacBook yesterday and the 5400rpm drive speed is noticeably slower than my 7200rpm 2.5" hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

If you don't make a decision soon I am going to come down to Lafayette and break both of your hands so that you cannot type 10 posts per day asking what to do.

Now that I got that off my chest I feel much better.
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

The MacBook Pro seems to have some issues. People complain about noise, apparently both the MacBook and MacBook Pro have heat issues. Not to mention there have been a case or two about the 'MagSafe' burning up/catching fire. I would buy a MacBook over an iMac in a heartbeat if they didn't have the problems they have. They both basically have the same features, just one is more portable.

I would go with the iMac.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeldar
The MacBook Pro seems to have some issues. People complain about noise, apparently both the MacBook and MacBook Pro have heat issues. Not to mention there have been a case or two about the 'MagSafe' burning up/catching fire. I would buy a MacBook over an iMac in a heartbeat if they didn't have the problems they have. They both basically have the same features, just one is more portable.

I would go with the iMac.
Done. iMac it is. I order Friday.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Done. iMac it is. I order Friday.
are you sure?

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
are you sure?
there may be a revision! in 3 weeks

no one knows for sure when the next rev will be out
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Maybe. But he could order the iMac then save up his pennies and order a MacBook in the future, when the problems are resolved.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

what's the revision in 3 weeks?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama
what's the revision in 3 weeks?
haha :p
QUOTE Thanks
iRizzo

I say get the Macbook Pro. The latest revision is flawless...well mine is at least.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Octo Core | I Ordered an iMac Today!! »