New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Brand New MacBook Owner Needs Image Source help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chemchick

Hi Everyone,

First things first, I am a brand-new MacBook owner and a first time Mac user.
Secondly, I never realized how reliant I was on the PC's right-click feature!

Basically, I just want to be able to view the image source of images on the web. That's it. I want to look at a photo and then "right-click and copy" the source. How on earth do I do this?

I just finished reading New right click on macbooks/mbp and tried the two fingers on the pad + click and NOTHING happened with the picture (it does work when I want to open a link in a new window). I've also spent at least an hour googling various tutorials on the internet and have come up with nothing with regards to how to right+click "view source" pics on the internet using a MacBook. The best I've been able to do is control + click the image and DL it to my desktop but that really doesn't help me. Please help a PC-convert out!

Thanks in advance!
-Chemchick
QUOTE Thanks
Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 15" screen, 2.0 MHz DuoCore, 80 Gig HD, 2G RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemchick
Basically, I just want to be able to view the image source of images on the web. That's it. I want to look at a photo and then "right-click and copy" the source. How on earth do I do this?
I assume that you want the photo properties not "view source" on the image because I am not sure what that it. If I am correct you should be able to get it from the control click menu just like a PC. I mean the control click is the same as the right click.
QUOTE Thanks
chemchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien
I assume that you want the photo properties not "view source" on the image because I am not sure what that it. If I am correct you should be able to get it from the control click menu just like a PC. I mean the control click is the same as the right click.
Thanks for the fast reply, Johnny Alien.

When I do control + click on the image it doesn't do anything. No menu pops up. I've even tried highlighting the image and then going to view source on the Safari tool bar and all that shows is the source of the entire webpage that the image is imbedded on (which makes it difficult to find the image source). When I do control + click on highlighted text all it does is copy it and when I do control + click on a link it automatically opens it in a new window rather than giving me options like on a PC. Is there a step that I'm missing?
QUOTE Thanks
chemchick

Ugh, nevermind. My husband told me that the apple button is the mac equivalent to the control key. So I've been trying to right click using the apple and the click. No WONDER it's not working.

Can you tell what a Mac newbie I am? This is beyond embarrassing.

but again, thank you for taking the time out and answering my question.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Ugh, nevermind. My husband told me that the apple button is the mac equivalent to the control key. So I've been trying to right click using the apple and the click. No WONDER it's not working.

I was just gonna flame on you about reading the keys but your back in my good graces. :batman:
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
I want to look at a photo and then "right-click and copy" the source. How on earth do I do this?
If you want a copy of the photo (and it isn't embedded in Flash or similar) then just drag-and-drop it.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:

Don't feel too bad, I was the same way at first when I first got my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
XPADREX

XPADREX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.

When I ctrl-click, I am given the choice of copying the image source, but not simply to view it as with Windows- any idea on how to do so? All I want to know is where an image is hosted.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

you could select Open Image in New Window/Tab and then look at the address bar. I am also getting an option to Copy Image Address which might be easier
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (62.9 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

also, if you want to be able to do the two fingers on the trackpad right click then you need to go into system preferences, then keyboard and mouse, and then somewhere in there you can turn it on.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

You could try running Firefox rather than safari. The user interface is very similar, and the right click menu has 'properties' and 'view image' options as well as the copy image and copy image location. It is basically identical to Firefox on other platforms, so it may make migration easier?
QUOTE Thanks
zal

zal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BackMac Book 2Ghz Duo-Core, iMac G3(running Os X)

^using the two finger method on the track pad has made my transition infinately easier, assuimng you'r running a note book i suggest you learn how to use that feature
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« text edit | How do i install download applications?! »