New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

USA Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeB

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forum and I just ordered an American Macbook(1.8 Stock).
I'm currently living in the UK and I was wondering what power adapters will I need to convert USA to UK?

I'm very excited about this laptop, it will be my first mac!

Thanks

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

All that you'll need is the plug adapter for the UK power outlets. Apple sells a set of these adapters called the "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit" for $39 USD. I'm not certain if you can purchase the adapters individually, but either way, it's won't cost you all that much to get up and running using UK power with your new MacBook.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Just wondering, why the US version?
QUOTE Thanks
dthorn

I'm not the OP, but likely because it's a whole lot cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeB

Thanks Padawan

Yeah I bought it from the USA because basically it's so much cheaper over there.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Thanks Padawan

Yeah I bought it from the USA because basically it's so much cheaper over there.
Even allowing for the VAT & Customs duty?

You do realise that when they deliver it you must pay these don't you!*

Amen-Moses

(* unless of course you are breaking the law but you wouldn't do that would you.)
QUOTE Thanks
MikeB

Yeah I do realise, but it cant be that much - 30 maybe.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Uh...

Probably a fair wodge more than that!

A 250 laptop I imported a few years back cost me a total of 320 when it came through customs...

You might be in for a little shock I'm afraid to say

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Gimpy

Gimpy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2

Customs charge is around 30, then theres the vat at 17.9 on top of that.

So youve paid 592 pounds for the laptop at current conversion rates, plus the 30 custom charge, thats 622. Plus 17.9 of 592, 106.

Thats 728 you'll have paid altogether.

Was the shipping free? I know on the UK store it is, but from the US store to uk I dont know if it is.

Really though you havent saved that much.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeB

Well last time I bought an item of ebay from USA the guy sent it as a gift so there would be no customs tax..
QUOTE Thanks
Wedge

Quote:
Well last time I bought an item of ebay from USA the guy sent it as a gift so there would be no customs tax.
Statements like that can get you a visit from your local auditor. Then again you could roll the dice and hope that saving a few hundred bux is worth the risk of being breaking the law.
QUOTE Thanks
Gimpy

Gimpy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2

Did you buy the macbook off ebay? If its bought from a normal store you can be assured it wont be sent as a gift.

I bought a mountain bike frame off ebay from canada, it was valued at 400 and I got hit with 98 quids worth of charges
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Well last time I bought an item of ebay from USA the guy sent it as a gift so there would be no customs tax.
The key word here is "gift". Apple isn't going to ship your Mac as a gift, although someone in the states may do so for you...

QUOTE Thanks
MikeB

I didnt buy it from apple, I got it from eBay brand new for $1000.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If the seller agrees to send it as a "gift" and undervalue it on the customs form, you might be all-right then...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cd image | Japanese word processing »