New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS 10.4x - Mac OS Versus Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

atif_farooq

Hi everyone,

Ok I'm new to the forum so if I ask or say anything then please forgive me!! Basically I am a lifelong user of Windows on standard PC's, gaming PC's and laptops. I have used all versions of it since Windows 95 and am very familiar with the OS. I have used an Apple Mac before, however this was about 3 or 4 years ago at university, and I don't really remember much of it, apart from the drag and drop CD icon to the recycle bin to eject it!

I'm looking at purchasing my own first laptop and really like the look of the Apple Macbook (2.0GHz white version) and really just need some honest advice. My main question is how difficult is the OS to use and will it be easy for me to adapt? I'm sure there are other people who have used both OS's so would really appreciate their opinions. I'll be using it mainly for wireless internet browsing, email, maybe a couple of games here and there (Football Manager 2006 ) and some multimedia use, such as video editing.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Atif
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

OSX is ridiculously easy to use. You should have no problems doing any of the things you mentioned once you get the hang of it.

I know that response is short, but it's the truth. :mac:

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Learning a mac is really easy, just read everything you can on them and start playing around on it. The best advice I give to people that have just got their first mac is to start playing with all the software, and then if you have a question about something, ask. Just like surfwax said, its easy to use and im sure you will be fine. The hardest part I had switching was the X to close a window is on the left instead of the right, but I figured that out real quick.
QUOTE Thanks
atif_farooq

Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far. I have heard that the OS is easy to use, but this is from people who have READ that it is - it's nice to get feedback from actual users!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Most people have trouble with mac because they are trying way too hard.

It is not a childs game either. Its easy to use yet powerful enough to compete with linux and pc machines!
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

i found it extremely easy to learn. the hardest part for me was getting used to the minimize/maximize/close buttons being on the other side of the window. it just takes a little getting used to the changes because you have to break old habits.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have just made the switch. Like you, I was a lifelong Windows user. I would concur with one of the earlier posters who said that most folks have difficulties because they try too hard. That was my initial problem. Everything seems really easy and well laid out in Mac OS X. I kept looking for the usual "hard" way to do things, but it was never there. Instead, there is usually a simple, visual and graceful way to do whatever it is you want to do. Want to install an app? Just drag it to the Appications folder. Done! Want to create a Finder bookmark? Just drag the folder to the bookmark bar on the left side of the window. Done! Stuff like that... everything seems pretty easy.

This is not to say that there are not issues, there are. Learning any new OS takes time, but I would recommend the plunge. It is well worth it, and you won't believe how much you get for your money. Mac OS X comes stuffed to the brim with GREAT additional software like iPhoto, iMovie, etc. Even the basic file view, Preview, has some incredible capabilities.

I have just made the switch, and I am loving it!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
atif_farooq

I'm leaning towards the Mac now more than ever. Plus I'll still have my home PC for Windows, the Mac will be more for travelling and using in the garden!
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Whilst OS X is very easy to use as an operating system, it also has a great wealth of advanced features for you to explore.
If you give yourself a while to get used to it, I'm sure you'll love it
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

go os x, you'll never regret it. It took me about two or three hours on a rainy day in february out of the box to get my way comfortably around my iMac.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

After using OS X, Windows looks ugly with no style at all. XP is still riddled with graohics from Win 95.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Windows 95 was cribbed from the source code of Mac OS 1.0. OS X is quite different from all the earlier Mac versions, but it will be pretty familiar to a user of any windows GUI. You shouldn't have any trouble making the transition from windows to Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm007
Windows 95 was cribbed from the source code of Mac OS 1.0.
I have to ask what your source is for that. While it is obvious that they copied the look/feel, I've never heard or seen any proof that MS actually stole/copied code from MacOS.

QUOTE Thanks
atif_farooq

Hi all.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far - it has been really helpful. I went to the Apple store today and had a good 10 minute play around on the OS and I was already beginning to feel comfortable with it! I have decided that I am going to purchase one this week by contacting Apple directly.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread or put out flame bait or anyting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
I have to ask what your source is for that. While it is obvious that they copied the look/feel, I've never heard or seen any proof that MS actually stole/copied code from MacOS.
I've seen the assertion several places:
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/arti...actfromfiction
http://www.jmusheneaux.com/index10.htm#2
http://home.earthlink.net/~mjohnsen/...s/appvsms.html

The basic gist of the story is that since the first useful app to be released with the mac was Word 1.0. Gates was given the entire source code so that his SW that he developed would be really tightly integrated (it was).

After that there is lots of disagreement about just how shady the 'copy catting' was. Windows up to 3.0 didn't look that much like mac (it sucked too). Then 95 came out and the only realy obvious difference was that the trash can was on the left and the apple (oops start) menu was on the bottom. In any case MS won all the important lawsuits so its pretty moot at this point, and mac OS is still more inovative and intuitive for the most part anyway.

MS wouldn't be stupid enough (even back then) to cut and paste code, but if they had all the source code handed to them and got to a 'how'd they do that?' point when they were writing win 2, 3 and later 95 what do you think they did?

Anyways the fact that Apple lost the look and feel lawsuit IMO was mainly due to the crappy management and loopy legal team that apple had at that time. That said, it may have set a good precedent for later software development giving programers more freedom to write better, but similar programs to existing ones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PSP program for mac | Had to share the good news... »