New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS 10.4x - Mac OS Versus Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

They did not steal the CODE of Mac OS as that would never run on Intel X86 hardware anyway. They copied features and the look. That is what the law suit was about, The look, Feel, Features. I am amazed that Apple lost that but Microsoft probably had very good lawyers.

They had Prototypes of the 128K Mac to develop software for Apple right in house at Microsoft. That is a fact.

I like Windows 2k and XP. I just do not like Microsoft's leaders.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Guys, back on topic. If you want to bash Windows, go elsewhere.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

As soon as you realize that you aren't using Windows or Linux or whatever OS you were using, and that you are now using a Mac, then you are good to go.
Forget everything that you have learned and became used to and embrace learning the new OS. Don't look for ways to do things like how you used to do them in your old OS. Don't look for software that mimics how things were done in your old OS. Don't think things like "I did it like this in (insert OS), so it must work that way in Mac OS"....etc.
Instead, read the Help files, get a book, look online and Google things... and learn how to do things the Mac way.

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Ok, this is me when I first started using Mac OS:
"Wait, you mean all I have to do is copy the file onto the hard drive and it's installed? Sweet!"

Mind you, that was yesterday, and I already feel like a pro at it. There are still some little things here and there I am confused about, but I am determined to master this beast if it kills me! Best of luck to you on yours.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
CompatiblePoker

No doubt go the Mac route. When I first got my Mac I was so frustrated just because the little things. Read up on the small basics and you'll be fine and love it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Like I have said a few times, for Me OSX was very easy. Just a few little things like the window icons on the oposite side and Apple-C instead of CTRL-C. That took hours. I can go back and forth between Windows and OSX and not even miss a beat. OSX to me is VERY easy to learn. It's not that different than windows. Just a few little things here and there.
Like D3v1L80Y said, forget it's Windows and move on. There will be some differences but it should be easy for you to pick up.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

I'm as proficient in Windows as any computer expert I know and I love my mac. It puts the fun back into computers, it's like being a kid again (when I first got a 386 intel pc haha)! Make sure you try out the F9 button when you have a lot of windows open.
QUOTE Thanks
atif_farooq

From my experience with the machine in the Apple store yesterday I found the OS easy to use. The main difference that I have noticed is the screen resize and close windows being on the left hand side as opposed to the right. It didn't take me more than 30 seconds to get used to this ! I've sorted out my bank finances today and will be ordering tomorrow morning, if all goes well. I'm really looking forward to it! Just a quick question, and only diverting off the main topic slightly, but does anyone recommend any certain accessories with the machine as being absolutely necessary? At the moment I would like a nice compact carry case to go with the machine and I'm going to get the machine with 1GB memory as opposed to 512MB.

Really appreciating all responses.

Atif
QUOTE Thanks
atif_farooq

Hi guys - just to let everyone know that I've ordered the White Macbook 2.0GHz today with 1GB Ram. I also took the Applecare package (for only 48 extra!) and a backpack for storage when travelling.

All for the sum of 939, as I got a student discount.
QUOTE Thanks
sbatson

sbatson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atif_farooq
Hi guys - just to let everyone know that I've ordered the White Macbook 2.0GHz today with 1GB Ram. I also took the Applecare package (for only 48 extra!) and a backpack for storage when travelling.

All for the sum of 939, as I got a student discount.

I'm sure you will love it. I have been a PC user for over 20 years back when DOS was the OS. So I've been through most PC Hardware changes and OS changes from PC-DOS and most versions of MS-DOS to Windows 3.1 up to XP.

I purchased my new Intel Based iMac in January and have been using it as my primary computer at home. I also have PCs and everything is networked together. I love the Mac and it has no problem seeing everything on the network including my printers.

It took me a few days to move everything over to the Mac, things such as my email, addresses, quicken data and stuff, but it wasn't that hard. I also had no problem picking up the OS, I bought a few books for reference and I search the web if I can't figure something out.

I also have no intention of trashing windows or the Mac, I'm using both very happily. But, I am loving the style, quality and stability of my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PSP program for mac | Had to share the good news... »