New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Playing DVDs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulgroovy

paulgroovy is on a distinguished road

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I get dvds to play on this thing (new intel imac). I was expecting to pop them into the slot and have them play, but that's not the case. What am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

I have an iMac G5, and when I put a DVD in the slot, the DVD player program starts up, and away goes the movie.

After inserting the DVD, try launching the DVD Player application to start it. It can be found in the Applications folder, either by itself or in Utilities. I'm not sure as I'm currently using my windoze machine here at work.

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
netdog

netdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgroovy
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I get dvds to play on this thing (new intel imac). I was expecting to pop them into the slot and have them play, but that's not the case. What am I doing wrong?
They should open with DVD Player. If they don't, you can open DVD player yourself and then view the DVD. If you prefer DVD player to open automatically once a video DVD is inserted, try this:

Open System Preferences and click CDs & DVDs.
Choose an action from the pop-up menu for video DVDs.
Close the window to save your settings.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
paulgroovy

I have checked my system preferences and it was already set launch dvd player when I insert a dvd, still the same thing. I then went and looked for dvd player where Jeremy said to and I honestly could not find it. Is it me or am I missing a dvd player utility?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The DVD Player is in the Applications Folder on the Hard Drive. It's called DVD Player. If it's not there that is your problem but it comes installed on all Macs that have a DVD Drive in them.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

it should be in your applications folder. if you can't find it, click searchlight (the blue magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) and type "dvd player". if it's on your computer, spotlight will find it.
QUOTE Thanks
paulgroovy

Thanks dude, that worked. I have another question though, what's up with the region codes and is there any way to get around that? Is there another dvd player out there that I could download and set as my default. Boy this player really looks alot like the xmms player I had on ubuntu.

Just another point, the full screen playback is has a somewhat grainy quality. Is this normal?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you can use VLC...search the forums real quick regarding region codes and the use of vlc in order to avoid the region code issues....i know i posted in one of them if that helps searching
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Or the even nicer way: use that little remote and launch front row.

As far as I'm informed, DVD player doesn't launch by default anymore because apple expects users to use front row to watch dvds.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
dthorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
Or the even nicer way: use that little remote and launch front row.

As far as I'm informed, DVD player doesn't launch by default anymore because apple expects users to use front row to watch dvds.
Not true. I have a MacBook Pro and DVD Player launches automatically unless I hit the 'menu' button on my remote before it has a chance to launch.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed, Right out of the Box my G5 iMac iSight with Front Row launches DVD Player with any Video DVD I put in the drive. Same with my Core Duo Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
dthorn

Exactly. Plus Front Row sucks up a lot of memory. I only use Front Row when I'm showing off to my Windows-adoring family and friends.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthorn
Exactly. Plus Front Row sucks up a lot of memory. I only use Front Row when I'm showing off to my Windows-adoring family and friends.
Funny, that's the only time I ever use it.

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Well I use front row whenever I'm sitting on my bed and can't reach my mighty mouse.

So probably he needs to check his events n disc insert.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A review after my first week with mac and what I''m missing | DARWINE- Quad G5 »